auto.direct yellow-pages map

Post by Ori Chal » Tue, 17 Nov 1992 00:06:35

We use SunOS 4.1.1.
Whenever I update the "auto.direct" yellow pages map,
I need to reboot the clients for they will be able to "see" the change.
I tried reinvoke automount, but it didn't help. Only "fastboot" on client helps.

By the way, I did not forget to cd /var/yp and make in the master host.

                        Thanks in advance

                                        Ori

Ori Chalak                                      Telephone:      972 3 531 3282
Cad Programmer and System Administrator         Fax:            972 3 531 3303

I S R A E L
"No problem is too complicated or too simple"
Ori Chalak                                      Telephone:      972 3 531 3282
Cad Programmer and System Administrator         Fax:            972 3 531 3303

auto.direct yellow-pages map

Post by Bren » Wed, 18 Nov 1992 04:13:17

Quote:

>We use SunOS 4.1.1.
>Whenever I update the "auto.direct" yellow pages map,
>I need to reboot the clients for they will be able to "see" the change.
>I tried reinvoke automount, but it didn't help. Only "fastboot" on client helps.

>By the way, I did not forget to cd /var/yp and make in the master host.

Unfortunately, a reboot of each client is the only certain way to make the
clients "see" new entries in a direct or master map.  A simple restart of
the automounter is not reliable - it assumes that the automounter can
undo all current mounts and start from fresh - this is rarely true.

My advice: keep your use of direct maps to a minimum.  Use a direct map entry only
if an indirect map entry is not appropriate.  Indirect maps are *much* easier to
update and no action need be taken on clients for new entries to be "seen".

---

                         phone: (415) 336 1051

Post by Yedidya Isra » Thu, 19 Nov 1992 22:26:06

>>We use SunOS 4.1.1.
>>Whenever I update the "auto.direct" yellow pages map,
>>I need to reboot the clients for they will be able to "see" the change.
>>I tried reinvoke automount, but it didn't help. Only "fastboot" on client helps.

Direct maps were always a problem, even in Amd it is not implemented.
The same it is circumvented with Amd it can be made with Sun's
automounter.

Prepare a direct map, make it represent the mount point /a.direct and
leave symbolic links all over the system to point to it :-( Not a
perfect but should work.
--
Israel Yedidya,         Phone:  972-3-5318682 or 972-3-5318407/8
System Administrator,   Fax:    972-3-5353325

Ramat-Gan, ISRAEL.      Uucp:   ...!uunet!pucc.princeton.edu!bimacs!yedidya
If someone proves there is no God, I'll stop being religious!

1. Linux automounter and direct maps (i.e. the "/-" map)

I am considering integrating Linux systems into an existing network of
Solaris, HP-UX, and IRIX systems.  The main technical barrier right now
is the "direct" automounter map.  Solaris, HP-UX, and IRIX all
understand the automounter direct map using the "/-" key, and we make
extensive use of this automounter feature.

I have searched high and low on the Internet and cannot locate any
concrete information about direct map support in the autofs Linux
package.  I've come across bits and pieces of information, but nothing
that specifically addresses direct maps.

So, does autofs support direct maps or not?  If not, what are the most
viable work-arounds, and are there plans to eventually support direct
maps?

For reference, here is a representative set of direct mount points in
our auto.direct NIS map:

/usr/tools -ro server1:/tools/$OSNAME
/usr/compilers -ro server2:/export/compilers
/cdjukebox -ro server3:/export/cdjukebox

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Explanation of a netstat error

3. Page Up and Page Down keys auto-repeating

4. Communicator icon problem, mail and news software

5. HELP: NIS (yellow pages) setup

6. Icons & Windowmaker

7. Linux & yellow page

8. New Redhat install issues??

9. Yellow pages (NIS) support for Linux???

10. Linux and Yellow Pages

11. yellow pages

12. nis, nfs, autofs: auto.master, auto.misc, auto.home help please

13. Yellow Pages / Security