SunOS 4.1.4 & Magneto-Optical Drive

Post by Mike Glo » Tue, 03 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I have a 1.2 Gbyte NEC Magneto-Optical Drive that worked fine
on a Sparc 10/51 running SunOS 4.1.3, but no longer works now
that I've upgraded to a Sparc 20e running 4.1.4. I get messages
like these:

Sense Key: Media Error
Vendor 'NEC' error code: 0x11
Error for command 'read'
Error Level: Retryable
Block 272848, Absolute Block: 272849

Often the Error Level is Fatal whatever that means.

Our systems guys have not been much help in figuring it out. I
Suspect the new OS, since we have had to intall local file system
patches for it.

Anyone have any knowledge about this?

1. Problems installing SONY Magneto-Optical Disk ( SunOS 5.4 )

Dear fellow netters,

we are experiencing severe difficulties installing a SONY
Magneto-Optical Disk (MOD) on a SparcStation20 running SunOs 5.4.

The MOD is found by "probe-scsi" reporting the correct SCSI Id ( 2 )
and the messages

        REMOVABLE DEVICE TYPE 7
        SONY SMO-F521-01 REV 2.04

However, after boot -r (or % touch /reconfigure; reboot) no entries
are created in the /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk directories.
During booting the device is not found (for fixed disks we get
messages like:

 sd3 at esp0: target 3 lun 0

  <SUN1.05 cyl 2036 alt 2 hd 14 sec 72>

)

According to the hardware provider, the "driver delivered with
Solaris2.4 is capable of dealing with this drive". We already
installed the "sd" driver for dealing with the fixed disk drives.

scsiinfo DOES NOT report the device.

We are quite sure, that the disk is not damaged, since it does work on a PC.

What did we do wrong ?

                                Torsten
Torsten Ihle, Dipl. Inf., TU-Dresden

Es ist deutsch in Kaltland !

2. inetd arg limits

3. Magneto-optical drive as file system

4. Apache-SSL and Imagemaps

5. Magneto-optical Drives

6. DOS Edit-like Text Editor Needed

7. Magneto-Optical drives ??

8. tiff and jpeg

9. EIDE magneto-optical drives and Linux

10. [Q}: Using Magneto-Optical drive with Solaris 2.2???

11. Magneto-Optical drive on sco5

12. ! NCR 53c810 SCSI card, TeraSys Magneto-Optical Drive: no access

13. Boot from Magneto-Optical Drive?