help - how to restore files from corrupt tape archive?!?!

help - how to restore files from corrupt tape archive?!?!

Post by Arthur Hag » Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:00:00

[chop]

Quote:> For those
> of you not on SGI's, bru is fairly similar to tar but has some added features
> along with file verification to make sure the file was backed up properly.

FYI, bru isn't a SGI thing.  3-4 years ago, my Amiga came installed with bru,
and I've seen it on various other platforms.
In my opinion, it's a slower, less reliable, more space consuming way of doing
most of the things tar can handle, although more user friendly.

--
Arthur Hagen, p.t. Sysadmin, Interactive Design AS; SysAdmin, Netup AS
Got a job opening in the US or Canada for an experienced unix SysAdmin

Work URL: http://www.design.idg.no/ | Home: http://www.design.no/~art/

help - how to restore files from corrupt tape archive?!?!

Post by Larry Gla » Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Can anyone tell me how to restore files from a corrupt bru archive (SGI,
4mm DAT drive)?  The problem seems to be that the backup needed more than
one tape, but the machine crashed during the night before I could get
another tape in it.  Now, issuing any bru command (bru -ivvv, bru -tv, etc)
results in the SCSI bus resetting 3 or 4 times along with a few I/O errors,
which ends with bru asking for the last tape of the archive.  For those
of you not on SGI's, bru is fairly similar to tar but has some added features
along with file verification to make sure the file was backed up properly.
Sorry for the repost on c.s.s.a but nobody has replied after 3 days and I
figured it was time to expand the scope of newsgroups. :-)

If anyone knows of a way to restore the files then I would appreciate the
help.  I need some of the files on the tape.  I don't care if I have to do
some sort of raw dump of everything on the tape, it is better than having to
recreate all of the files I need.

Thanks,
Larry
--
Larry Glaze                               |           "...Life's a bummer..."
System Administrator                      |               --Smashing Pumpkins

1. Need to restore corrupted tar archive from 1/4" tape

Now I've done it...

I was playing around with teh lib[cm]4.4.4 sources (I'm at 4.4.1 now) and I
decided to do a backup snapshot before I screwed anything up.
I played, goofed it up, and decided to restore and start over.
After I mkfs'd (figured I'd clean house while I was restoreing) I put in
the tape and typed:
tar cvspf /dev/st0
Of course, that didn't work (I needed an x). The tape spun for about 1
second then died. I re-read the command line and fixed it. The tape goes
for about 1 second, then stops. No messages, nothing.
I tried tar xvfpsi (ignore EOF) but nothing. This is the only FULL backup I
have (the main thing I would loose would be my patch-diffs of software I've
installed).

Please Help.
Rob

I've got a bad case of mood poisoning. It must have been something I hate.
Robert Rogers  --  Boulder Creek CA, USA, Earth, Sol system, Milky Way

2. DOSemu

3. problems restoring archive from tape

4. Help! I broke my NT partition

5. restore with corrupted tape 1

6. libXt (Doom)

7. How restore a crashed tape archive ?

8. COMPAT_FreeBSD

9. problems restoring archive from tape

10. 8mm tape corrupted tar header file - HELP!

11. Please Help: Corrupt tar file on Exabyte 112m tape

12. 8mm tape corrupted tar header file - HELP!

13. Restore root file system from tape, not working - help?