Recover files from lost+found

Post by Prabha Seshad » Mon, 23 Nov 1992 03:53:40

I manage a NeXT workstation connected to a Novell
Network.My system crashed and few of the files
were lost and I could not recover them.Can anyone
tell me how to recover these lost files from lost+found?
Thanks.

Post by Gary Hest » Wed, 25 Nov 1992 01:04:26

>I manage a NeXT workstation connected to a Novell
>Network.My system crashed and few of the files
>were lost and I could not recover them.Can anyone
>tell me how to recover these lost files from lost+found?

If they were placed in lost+found, they're assigned a numerical filename.

Simply rename them and place them into the correct directory, with mv.

Otherwise, get out the tape backups....

--

The Chairman of the Board and the CFO speak for SCI. I'm neither.
"Data sheet: HSN-3000 Nuclear Event Detector. The [NED] senses the gamma

Post by Yedidya Isra » Wed, 25 Nov 1992 23:50:32

>I manage a NeXT workstation connected to a Novell
>Network.My system crashed and few of the files
>were lost and I could not recover them.Can anyone
>tell me how to recover these lost files from lost+found?
>Thanks.

Files were lost doesn't mean they were found ...
--
Israel Yedidya,         Phone:  972-3-5318682 or 972-3-5318407/8
System Administrator,   Fax:    972-3-5353325

Ramat-Gan, ISRAEL.      Uucp:   ...!uunet!pucc.princeton.edu!bimacs!yedidya
If someone proves there is no God, I'll stop being religious!

1. how do I recover files in lost+found dir ?

Ok, I moved the scripts that were in /lost+found back to
/etc/rc.d/init.d and /etc/ppp after looking at each of their contents.
(I seem to have lost the gpm script, but I should be able to rpm that
back.) I now realize that the broken symlinks were the S*, K*  links
in the /etc/rc.d/rc?.d/ directories.  These directories were all gone
except rc6.d. I did mkdir on rc[0-5].d and then made identical links
in those directories from rc5.d.  I know that's not quite right, but
it's a start.

Now my question is: What is a reasonable set of S*, K* links to their
respective /etc/rc.d/init/d scripts for each of these directories? The
links in rc6.d were to kill off everything and shutdown.  I could make
up a starting order, but what's the nominal set of links for each init
level?

TIA.

______________________
Tim Williams

2. ip routing table lookups

3. recovering lost+found files?

4. Lisunx (Sun Linsux) desktops coming this week

5. recovering from lost+found

6. HP C1536A DAT

7. recovering lost file

8. Linux Worms ?

9. Timely thread! Recovering lost files.

10. Recovering lost files

11. Recovering lost file system: how?

12. HELP: recovering lost disk files

13. find without the "find: cannot read dir /usr/lost+found: Permission denied"