voice chatting on msn through BSD router

voice chatting on msn through BSD router

Post by ahme » Fri, 19 Oct 2001 03:59:28



Hi all,

I have an OpenBSD 2.9 at home which talks to my cable modem and has been
successfully working as a router for more than a year now. my roommate has a
win98 laptop, and has been complaing that he couldn't voice chat to his
friends on msn messanger or pal talk etc. I have seen him voice chatting on
the same laptop with dialup connection at his work. Does anyone knows what's
the problem and how to fix it?? Additionally, when I installed bsd on my
machine (more than a year ago), active ftp connection from the machines on
the network other than router itself was not possible. Is it still like
that??

Thanks in advance,

Ahmed

 
 
 

voice chatting on msn through BSD router

Post by Erik He » Sat, 20 Oct 2001 01:43:47


Hi there. The problem with MSN Messenger, as well as any voice chat
program that makes a client-to-client connection to send data is that
when your using a NAT firewall/router, you're assigned internal IP
addresses via DHCP, PPP/OE, or some other addressing scheme. IP
addresses that are in the form of 192.168.xx.xxx are non-routable
addresses to the Internet, and hence are unavailable for direct
client-to-client connections. Those that go through a central server
(such as Yahoo Voice Chat) are not bound by the limitations of NAT
addressing, since the clients connect to the server, and there is no
direct interaction between them. The only viable sollution is to get
an external IP address, in which case you'd designate your friend's
laptop as a DMZ host, though you'd need an external IP address in
order to do this.

> Hi all,

> I have an OpenBSD 2.9 at home which talks to my cable modem and has been
> successfully working as a router for more than a year now. my roommate has a
> win98 laptop, and has been complaing that he couldn't voice chat to his
> friends on msn messanger or pal talk etc. I have seen him voice chatting on
> the same laptop with dialup connection at his work. Does anyone knows what's
> the problem and how to fix it?? Additionally, when I installed bsd on my
> machine (more than a year ago), active ftp connection from the machines on
> the network other than router itself was not possible. Is it still like
> that??

> Thanks in advance,

> Ahmed


 
 
 

voice chatting on msn through BSD router

Post by Trevor Osatch » Sat, 20 Oct 2001 03:51:17



What about port forwarding the MSN port directly to the internal
address?  I have changed the port number in the registry of pcAnywhere
on my boxes behind a firewall and have been able to get to each box as
long as I change the port number in the registry of my remote computer
before I connect.(i.e. different port = different computer on the
other side of firewall)  If MSN Messenger tries to send the
communication back to the routable address that the firewall has it
can forward that traffic to the laptop.

trev

>Hi there. The problem with MSN Messenger, as well as any voice chat
>program that makes a client-to-client connection to send data is that
>when your using a NAT firewall/router, you're assigned internal IP
>addresses via DHCP, PPP/OE, or some other addressing scheme. IP
>addresses that are in the form of 192.168.xx.xxx are non-routable
>addresses to the Internet, and hence are unavailable for direct
>client-to-client connections. Those that go through a central server
>(such as Yahoo Voice Chat) are not bound by the limitations of NAT
>addressing, since the clients connect to the server, and there is no
>direct interaction between them. The only viable sollution is to get
>an external IP address, in which case you'd designate your friend's
>laptop as a DMZ host, though you'd need an external IP address in
>order to do this.

>> Hi all,

>> I have an OpenBSD 2.9 at home which talks to my cable modem and has been
>> successfully working as a router for more than a year now. my roommate has a
>> win98 laptop, and has been complaing that he couldn't voice chat to his
>> friends on msn messanger or pal talk etc. I have seen him voice chatting on
>> the same laptop with dialup connection at his work. Does anyone knows what's
>> the problem and how to fix it?? Additionally, when I installed bsd on my
>> machine (more than a year ago), active ftp connection from the machines on
>> the network other than router itself was not possible. Is it still like
>> that??

>> Thanks in advance,

>> Ahmed

Trevor Osatchuk

Any man whose errors take ten years to correct is quite a man.
          - J. Robert Oppenheimer, speaking of Albert Einstein

 
 
 

voice chatting on msn through BSD router

Post by Andrew Borin » Sat, 20 Oct 2001 14:24:11




> What about port forwarding the MSN port directly to the internal
> address?  I have changed the port number in the registry of pcAnywhere
> on my boxes behind a firewall and have been able to get to each box as
> long as I change the port number in the registry of my remote computer
> before I connect.(i.e. different port = different computer on the
> other side of firewall)  If MSN Messenger tries to send the
> communication back to the routable address that the firewall has it
> can forward that traffic to the laptop.

> trev

A slightly simpler setup than the ipf forwarding rulesets, is to use the
'bounce' utility found in the FreeBSD ports collection
(/usr/ports/net/bounce).
I never saw it in the OpenBSD ports, so I had to copy it over and compile
it manually (not difficult, it is only a single C source file). It will
"bounce" incoming connections on certain ports to an internal IP address
and port of your choosing. Very nice for small, quick and easy setups with
one or two ports open. (I've actually been using it to run web and mail
with virtual domains on a server behind a NAT box on my DSL connection.)

I don't know how many ports MSN Messenger requires, though. Some Microsoft
products (notably, their games) require a range of ports, so the ipf
rulesets would be more efficient (each instance of "bounce" is a separate
process).

--

"Education is the difference between an idiot
 and a qualified idiot."  -Robert Moir, a.s.r.

 
 
 

1. msn messenger file/voice thru socks5 dante

I'm struggling with the infamous msn file/voice and iptables problem.

With some research I found out it couldn't be done with NAT.
But It could be done with a socks5 server. So I downloaded dante, it's
a free socks5 server. I followed the instruction, I've read the faq
and documentation, I even subscribed to the mailinglist.

All I want to do is share the internet connection with the rest of the
LAN.
So my sisters could send files with msn and maybe even use the speech
option.

This is my /etc/socksd.conf

## general configuration

internal: fxp1 port = 1080
external: fxp2
method: username none
#user.privileged: root
user.notprivileged: sockd
logoutput: stderr

## client access rules

client pass {
        from: 192.168.1.0/24 to: 0.0.0.0/0
        log: connect disconnect

## server operation access rules

#allow bind to ports greater than 1023
pass {
        from: 0.0.0.0/0 to: 0.0.0.0/0 port gt 1023
        command: bind
        log: connect disconnect

#allow outgoing connections (tcp and udp)
pass {
        from: 0.0.0.0/0 to: 0.0.0.0/0
        command: connect udpassociate
        log: connect disconnect

#allow replies to bind, and incoming udp packets
pass {
       from: 0.0.0.0/0 to: 0.0.0.0/0
       command: bindreply udpreply
       log: connect error

#log the rest
block {
       from: 0.0.0.0/0 to: 0.0.0.0/0
       log: connect error

fxp1 is the internal network card.
fxp2 is my eth2 card to the isp

to sockify the system i need to do the following:
 In Linux you can easily do the following:

   edit the file /etc/ld.so.preload
   and add two lines saying:
      libdl.so
      libdsocks.so

But mandrake nor redhat has the /etc.ld.so.preload file.

Can somebody help me out please?
Maybe even better, can somebody point me to a how-to?

thanx in advance

2. Sparc5 And IBM Ultrastar 36LP

3. Netmeeting / MSN voice chat from behind ipchains firewall

4. k_trap 0x0000006 during installation

5. IPTables/NAT & MSN Messenger Voice

6. Where can I find solaris version no.

7. AOL IM/MSN Messenger file xfer thru ipchains

8. How to guess video bandwidth?

9. MSN probelm in voice and vedio

10. voice and msn

11. MSN Messenger VOICE through IPChains/IPMasqadm Firewall

12. ipchains & MSN Messenger 3.6 VOICE

13. Voice MSN Messenger communication over redhat with iptables