Anti-Job Control

Post by Robert Mas » Wed, 18 Nov 1992 08:55:54

I am currently making a shell script.  In it, I have disabled all shell
escapes/ctrl codes, etc except for job control.. CTRL-Z keeps letting
me shell.  How can I avoid this (more importantly, what is the best
way?)

rob

1. JOB CONTROL FOR JOBS w/o a TTY (using BASH)?

I am running a large computation in IDL (takes 18 hrs) and I
put this job in the background from within bash. IDL usually
runs from an interactive shell, and I would like to be able to
bring IDL back to the foreground after some time (the
computation is done). The problem is, if I exit the shell from
which IDL was initiated, then, although IDL will still run, I
cannot bring it back into the
foreground since the shell from which it was started has died
and any other shell will have no knowledge of this process. I
could
just leave the shell from which IDL was started open, but that
would require me to leave my system unattended (never log
off).

Is there a way to get a BASH shell to "adopt" a process that
was started from another BASH shell? This would allow me to
use the normal job controll built in to BASH to bring my job
back into the
foreground. Any tips would be appreciated!

Steve

2. Missing logfile inhibits starting of server

3. Jobs, Jobs, Jobs And More Jobs!!!

4. IDE HD > 8 mb ?

5. HELP !!! Printer-Jetdirect-Linux

6. Linux router between LAN's