Wierd quota problem, please help?

Wierd quota problem, please help?

Post by Russ Russe » Tue, 29 Aug 1995 04:00:00



Hi all UNIX gurus,

I recently implemented quotas on one of our filesystems. Everything seemed
to be working fine, until I realized that users were still able to use more
space than the hard limit for the quota.

quota -v for a certain user shows the following :

Filesystem     usage  quota  limit    timeleft  files  quota  limit
/u1            57489  35000  40000 NOT STARTED    134      0      0

I have the time limit (via edquota -t) set to 3 days, but for some reason,
it doesn't stop users from going over the hard limit, or warn when they
go over the soft limit.

I run quotacheck every hour via cron to make sure things are ok.

What have I dont wrong?

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Russ Russell, Network Engineer       "A tout le monde, a tout les amis"
AIMnet Corporation                     "Je vous aime, je dois partir"
2350 Mission College Blvd.  Santa Clara, CA  408-567-3800

 
 
 

Wierd quota problem, please help?

Post by Ossama Elhada » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00



>I recently implemented quotas on one of our filesystems. Everything seemed
>to be working fine, until I realized that users were still able to use more
>space than the hard limit for the quota.
>quota -v for a certain user shows the following :
>Filesystem     usage  quota  limit    timeleft  files  quota  limit
>/u1            57489  35000  40000 NOT STARTED    134      0      0
>I have the time limit (via edquota -t) set to 3 days, but for some reason,
>it doesn't stop users from going over the hard limit, or warn when they
>go over the soft limit.
>I run quotacheck every hour via cron to make sure things are ok.

I have the same problem. Could anybody help me !

Thanks

Ossama

 
 
 

Wierd quota problem, please help?

Post by Scott Croma » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00




>>I recently implemented quotas on one of our filesystems. Everything seemed
>>to be working fine, until I realized that users were still able to use more
>>space than the hard limit for the quota.

>I have the same problem. Could anybody help me !

Did you either reboot or run

quotacheck -av

to start the quotas running?

--Scott

 
 
 

Wierd quota problem, please help?

Post by Scott Croma » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00




>>I recently implemented quotas on one of our filesystems. Everything seemed
>>to be working fine, until I realized that users were still able to use more
>>space than the hard limit for the quota.

>I have the same problem. Could anybody help me !

Did you either reboot or run

quotacheck -av

to start the quotas running?

--Scott

 
 
 

Wierd quota problem, please help?

Post by Richard Harwoo » Thu, 07 Sep 1995 04:00:00



>Hi all UNIX gurus,

>I recently implemented quotas on one of our filesystems. Everything seemed
>to be working fine, until I realized that users were still able to use more
>space than the hard limit for the quota.

>quota -v for a certain user shows the following :

>Filesystem     usage  quota  limit    timeleft  files  quota  limit
>/u1            57489  35000  40000 NOT STARTED    134      0      0

>I have the time limit (via edquota -t) set to 3 days, but for some reason,
>it doesn't stop users from going over the hard limit, or warn when they
>go over the soft limit.

>I run quotacheck every hour via cron to make sure things are ok.

>What have I dont wrong?

>Thanks

>--------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Russ Russell, Network Engineer       "A tout le monde, a tout les amis"
>AIMnet Corporation                     "Je vous aime, je dois partir"
>2350 Mission College Blvd.  Santa Clara, CA  408-567-3800


I had the same problem until I realised I'd forgotten to enable the quota
system on the partition:

        quotaon /u1

in your case.  I believe any such filesystems have to be marked 'quota' in your
/etc/fstab file (or equivalent).  If that's not the problem then I don't really
know of anything else to suggest.

--

Department of Computer Science,              |  Telephone: +44 (0)1482 466534
The University of Hull, HULL HU6 7RX, UK.    |  Facsimile: +44 (0)1482 466666

 
 
 

1. Wierd problem with SCSI tape drive. Please help!

Hi all,

I'm getting this extremely annoying problem with my SCSI tape drive.  It's a
brand new device and sometimes works fine. However, ocassionally I get an
error when I try to backup about 10GB of data using tar.  It's a random
problem and I have little clue where things are going wrong.

The details are:

Tape drive: Exabyte Mammoth
SCSI controller: Adaptec 2940 U2W
Linux: Redhat 5.2 Kernel 2.0.36-3

Tape drive is the only scsi device and I've terminated it.
I've done backup and restore a few times successfully, but occassionally I
get the following error with tar.

Error Message from /var/log/messages:

scsi: aborting command due to timeout: pid 246340, scci0, channel0, id 15,
lun 0 write (6) 01 00 00 1e 00
scsi host 0 abort (pid 246340) timed out- resetting
scsi bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0
tar cannot write to /dev/st0
input/ouput error
tar error is not recoverable
exiting now

After getting this error, I upgraded the kernel from 2.0.36-0.7 to 2.0.36-3
hoping that it would solve the problem as the aic7xxx driver in this kernel
version might be better.  After this upgrade, I could backup successfully
once using tar. This morning I was testing it with a backup program "arkeia"
and it again locked my drive. It's getting really frustrating not to be able
to get a very important high-end hardware device to work under linux. Has
anyone come across something similar? And yes, I've cleaned the head of my
drive.

TIA,
Nitin.

2. Modem and sound card etup problem with Mandrake 6

3. Wierd Problems... Please help!

4. modular apps development

5. Wierd problem with signal/shell/nohup/etc. Please help!

6. UNIX Printer Spooler Software

7. wierd networking problem - please help

8. Linux Shirt - Can we improve from Beta 1?

9. Wierd Problem Please Help

10. Please help! problem with quota

11. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

12. Sendmail problems. Please please please please help!

13. LINUX instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!Subject: LINUX , instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!