Copy files from Unix system another system

Copy files from Unix system another system

Post by Cory A Bro » Thu, 25 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I'am trying to copy a text file from a Unix system to my pc with
microsoft Web server and I want to automate the process is it possible
to automate the copying of the file to my ftp server? using RCP or any
other command.  Please let me know.
 TIA,
  Cory Brown

Copy files from Unix system another system

Post by Jake Epstei » Tue, 30 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I'am trying to copy a text file from a Unix system to my pc with
> microsoft Web server and I want to automate the process is it possible
> to automate the copying of the file to my ftp server? using RCP or any
> other command.  Please let me know.
>  TIA,
>   Cory Brown

Hi Cory,

You may want to simply add nfs or NT file/print services to Unix. Samba is
a non-commercial way to go. Then your PC simply sees the Unix box as a
network share.

We do a lot of rcp from Unix to Unix, but not to PC. I have seen some PC
based remote shell products in packages such as Novell Lan Work Groups Pro,
but these can be expensive.

If security is not a big deal, a batch driven ftp might be nice.

This will work using Windows 95 ftp.

Create a text script file with the following. I use ftp.server.com as an
example. You can also
  use an IP address.

open ftp.server.com
user cory
mypassword
get /home/cory/file
quit

The command to run this is:

        ftp -n -s:script

        where script is the name of the script file above.

You will need some sort of scheduler to automate this. It could be run as a
cgi of of Web pages. You can use your Unix man pages for more info on these
switches. A neat one is the -i to turn of interactive prompting with mget.

Good Luck,

Jake

1. copy umsdos file system to ext2 file system

I have a fully opperational linux file system on a dos partition installed as a umsdos
system and would like to copy it to a linux ext2 partition. Is this possible?
I am using loadlin to load linux, I do not want to use lilo.
This is my present partition table:

/dev/hdb5  6   dos 16-bit >=32M    slackware 96
/dev/hdb6  83  Linux native        redhat 4.1
/dev/hdb7  83  Linux native        empty ext2 500meg partition

Linux on hdb5 is running perfectly and I have almost 300Megs on it and I don't want
to load it from scratch.

Thaanks in advance,

2. NFS Version 3 for Linux Project?

3. Enhanced Filing system - file system like DEC Advanced File system for Linux

4. Proxy Server on SCO

5. Copying files from my WIN 95 System to my Linux System

6. Compiling 1.2 kernel ELF

7. Need help writing C program using UNIX system calls (read, write, etc) that copies files

8. NAT and DNS

9. copying files from unix to dos system in dos readable format

10. How: Copy a unix file system?

11. UNIX... copying file to floppy drive on very old system

12. how to put a file from a unix system to a windows(2000) system ?

13. "Standard Journaled File System" vs "Large File Enabled Journaled File System"