problem with umask on NFS disks

Post by Joerg Ettric » Thu, 30 May 2002 18:09:39

Hi All,

Ive several disks of my server (LINUX) mounted on my
clients (LINUX). Everything works fine, except the
umask of files. On a local machine (client) a user
can create a file or directory, and it will get the
file creation mask specified by umask, e.g. umask=0002
and the directory is 775. But as soon as the user is
working on a nfs volume, and he creates a directory or
file, the file permissions are different, e.g. using the
same options like above the directory has permissions 755.

I'm not an system administrator but I have to do it, so
could anyone give me some help on this? Is there an option
I'll have to use when mounting the nfs disks?

regards,

Joe

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Thu, 30 May 2002 22:29:45

> Hi All,

> Ive several disks of my server (LINUX) mounted on my
> clients (LINUX).

        Then you should be asking your questions on a newsgroup who's topic is
LINUX.  The topic of "comp.unix.admin" is the administration of UNIX
systems.  There are plenty of LINUX newsgroups to ask LINUX questions in.

        [followups directed to "comp.os.linux.admin"]

                Hope this helps,
                        Don

--
***********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald   *      Man's gotta earn a living.

problem with umask on NFS disks

Post by Barry Margoli » Fri, 31 May 2002 00:11:03

Quote:>Ive several disks of my server (LINUX) mounted on my
>clients (LINUX). Everything works fine, except the
>umask of files. On a local machine (client) a user
>can create a file or directory, and it will get the
>file creation mask specified by umask, e.g. umask=0002
>and the directory is 775. But as soon as the user is
>working on a nfs volume, and he creates a directory or
>file, the file permissions are different, e.g. using the
>same options like above the directory has permissions 755.

There's no such thing as umask as far as the NFS protocol is concerned.
When a client is creating a file, it sends the precise permissions to
assign, which the client's kernel should determine independently of the
file system type.

If this is really happening, it sounds like something Linux-specific.  So
as much as I hate to agree with Rev. Fool, I think you should ask about
this in a Linux newsgroup.  Other flavors of Unix don't have this problem,
AFAIK.

--

Genuity, Woburn, MA

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Fri, 31 May 2002 08:32:10

>>Ive several disks of my server (LINUX) mounted on my
>>clients (LINUX). Everything works fine, except the
>>umask of files. On a local machine (client) a user
>>can create a file or directory, and it will get the
>>file creation mask specified by umask, e.g. umask=0002
>>and the directory is 775. But as soon as the user is
>>working on a nfs volume, and he creates a directory or
>>file, the file permissions are different, e.g. using the
>>same options like above the directory has permissions 755.

> There's no such thing as umask as far as the NFS protocol is concerned.
> When a client is creating a file, it sends the precise permissions to
> assign, which the client's kernel should determine independently of the
> file system type.

> If this is really happening, it sounds like something Linux-specific.  So
> as much as I hate to agree with Rev. Fool, I think you should ask about
> this in a Linux newsgroup.  Other flavors of Unix don't have this problem,
> AFAIK.

        LINUX is not another "flavor" of UNIX, Barry.  It is not a UNIX system at
all.  It is a kernel only.  Even when paired with the GNU's Not UNIX
(GNU) utilities, GNU/LINUX cannot pass the required certification.

                Hope this helps,
                        Don

--
***********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald   *      Man's gotta earn a living.
* Baltimore, MD       *      Dying ain't much of a living, boy.
***********************             "Outlaw Josey Wales"

1. problem with umask on NFS disks

        Then you should be asking your questions on a newsgroup who's topic is
LINUX.  The topic of "comp.unix.admin" is the administration of UNIX
systems.  There are plenty of LINUX newsgroups to ask LINUX questions in.

        [followups directed to "comp.os.linux.admin"]

                Hope this helps,
                        Don

--
***********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald   *      Man's gotta earn a living.
* Baltimore, MD       *      Dying ain't much of a living, boy.
***********************             "Outlaw Josey Wales"

2. max number of processes

3. UMASK being ignored on an NFS mounted disk

4. tcsh and Sun Rays

5. nfs and umask problems

6. A few questions to help out a newbie

7. Setting a SB16 audio card

8. setting umask with nfs...

9. umask on nfs shares ?

10. newbie nfs umask ?

11. umask error with Sun mounting Linux NFS