Zen and the art of Rdist...

Post by Jason Pascuc » Tue, 27 Oct 1992 11:31:55

Hi,

I've been given a dozen or so Sparc's to setup, and would like
to, as they say, do it right this time. About 4 are
diskless, and the rest have internal (100 or 200meg) disks,
running a very hacked together system, mostly 4.1.2, with
some funny libraries I had to throw on top to make what
ever random version of ps that was stuck on them work.
I will also have a Sparc Server with a fair bit of disk space,
and will try to spread the load across a multitude of other
servers flavors.

So, in my quest to do this right, I want to make distribution
nice and easy. Rdist seems to have all the functionality I want,
but looks a little too lightweight to handle the N
files which Unix needs to be Unix, but I guess the install_except
option takes care of this...

So, my question is: Do other people use Rdist effectively
in this manner? Is there anything else out there which
does similar work for me better?

If I do end up using Rdist, should I keep a completely
seperate copy of the root and usr directories on
the server, or should I pick a random client and use
it as the 'rdist server'?

What are your experiences, hates, loves, etc about Rdist,
or whatever utility you use.

Thanks Ahead,

Jason
--
Jason R. Pascucci

Software Engineer, O.S. Integrity, Conversion/Migration Tools
News and Sys Admin, Postmaster, Hacker.

Disclaimer: I'm no Jack Kennedy.

Did you ever wonder why nobody bothered doing a GNUdist? :)

1. Z-Buffering and the Art of Zen

Greetings,

Apparently, we are not all graphic gurus. Alot of the technology that
is out today for the PC market and whatever else was out WAY before
its popularity now.
Z buffering was out when the Commodore Amiga was the home computer to
have (it still is, but software support is slacking). The latest
technology (almost) is used in the 3DO M2 video game machine. A lot
of the technology was in the Video Toaster of yesteryear. Many of the
things you see today are part of designs and proven technology from
other people's work - years before they became popular on the market.
Yes, reverse engineering and stolen designs play a part of this. Do
you know about Commodore's CD-TV or the OpalVision?
Well in the other countries, Commodore was known for many things
(har-har) but they did have a darn good machine for hacking on new
technology. Win95 is nothing new to us, just a memory hog and
extremely buggy.

I bring this up since you can use this knowledge to enhanced Linux.
GNU software is available everywhere
and the latest patches are on certain FTP sites. With
all the Electrical & Computer Science & Engineering students (and
professionals) out there - you mean we can't solve all of our
problems with our combined knowledge of today's technology? Heck, I
still have
to track down GNU software for the latest versions
if they are not on the MIT site or Coast Net. Oh well,
you can't have your cake and eat it too (but you can if you take a slice!).

About Matrox, leave them alone - their Canadians not Americans. You
bought their products - no one forced you. If you bought a Hyundai,
its your fault - not the dealer. I don't even know if they know about
Better Business Bureaus or Consumer Reports. They didn't seem
to know about Linux! If you want to do z-buffering
and other fancyful things, I'm sure there ae many
graphics gurus that can give you the hack secrets
to use XFree86 and whatever else (like Doom2) for
any darn graphics (or sound) card you want.

Matrox didn't play you like a flute. You can get a refund if you
don't like their service. I'm sure Diamond will greet you with open
arms (I heard stories about them too). We said the same thing about
Commodore
with their marketing skills for the last 10-15 years).
Cirrus also has good chips, and I'm sure they'll
give you some specs for turbocharged work.

Don't forget, just becasue you bought it - doesn't mean the
manufacturer must help you on some unintended purpose project (like
XFree86). That's their right and choice. Do you believe in lifetime
warranties too?
-Ken

2. how configure hp7200e

3. 8/25/92 CLB EVENT NOTICE - ZEN AND THE ART OF DEVICE DRIVER WRITING -

4. compile kernel with gcc2.1

5. Zen and the art of window managing

6. Networking with an Intel Ethernet Card

7. Zen and the Art of Hard-drive Hygiene

8. file is not found - but I know it exists!

9. Matrox Mystique ands X.

10. rdist: can't get rdist working ... permission denied

11. Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen

12. The zen of choosing the right upgrade habits for Linux?

13. Help on Zen Internet Guide