RCS for system file control

Post by Mark S. Petrovi » Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I'm considering using RCS or SCCS for system file control (e.g.,
/etc/vfstab, /etc/services, etc.).  I've noticed that RCS seems to
have one shortcoming with this type of use in that if I do not
specify "-u" to the ci utility, RCS moves the file of interest to
a ",v" version into either the current working directory or ./RCS.
Omitting this switch on something like /etc/system could be
disastrous.

What good solutions exist for managing system files using standard
tools such as RCS or SCCS?

Thank you.

--
Mark S. Petrovic                                      v 816
854-3152

RCS for system file control

Post by Jay Lesse » Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm considering using RCS or SCCS for system file control (e.g.,
>/etc/vfstab, /etc/services, etc.).  I've noticed that RCS seems to
>have one shortcoming with this type of use in that if I do not
>specify "-u" to the ci utility, RCS moves the file of interest to
>a ",v" version into either the current working directory or ./RCS.

This does not "move" the file.  The ,v file is the RCS database for
that file, pretty much like the SCCS s. file.

"ci fname" is equivalent to "sccs delta fname", and does:

    check in the current edits, do not leave read-only file.

Sometimes this is what you want.

"ci -u fname" is equivalent to "sccs delget fname" and does:

    check in the current edits, leave a read-only copy.

Sometimes this is what you want.

Quote:>Omitting this switch on something like /etc/system could be
>disastrous.

Certainly, as would putting in a bad rootdev line.  Not to be snotty,
but you're root, get used to it.  :-)

--

Lattice Semiconductor Corp.                    (voice)1.503.681.0118
Hillsboro, OR, USA                               (fax)1.503.693.0540

RCS for system file control

Post by Clay Irvi » Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm considering using RCS or SCCS for system file control (e.g.,
>/etc/vfstab, /etc/services, etc.).  I've noticed that RCS seems to
>have one shortcoming with this type of use in that if I do not
>specify "-u" to the ci utility, RCS moves the file of interest to
>a ",v" version into either the current working directory or ./RCS.
>Omitting this switch on something like /etc/system could be
>disastrous.

I use RCS for these type of system files -- After I check the file in,
I check out a copy without a lock (no write). Works for me! :)

If you are afraid you'll forget to check it out, write a wrapper to
check it in, then check it out without a lock...

--
Clay Irving                                        See the happy moron,

http://www.panix.com/~clay                         I wish I were a moron,
                                                   My God! Perhaps I am!

RCS for system file control

Post by Goran Larss » Sun, 16 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> What good solutions exist for managing system files using standard
> tools such as RCS or SCCS?

Place all files that you want controlled by RCS in one directory
and use a makefile to copy them to their normal living place.
As an added benefit you could add automatic logging on what files
are updated, i.e. the makefile will log the file name, the RCS
version number, date, et.al. for later inspection if a problem
with the system is found.

--

 I was an atheist,            http://home1.swipnet . se/%7Ew-12153/
 until I found out I was God.

RCS for system file control

Post by Ed Rav » Thu, 20 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm considering using RCS or SCCS for system file control (e.g.,
>/etc/vfstab, /etc/services, etc.).  I've noticed that RCS seems to
>have one shortcoming with this type of use in that if I do not
>specify "-u" to the ci utility, RCS moves the file of interest to
>a ",v" version into either the current working directory or ./RCS.
>Omitting this switch on something like /etc/system could be
>disastrous.

In a past life, I managed lots of system files with RCS, and got into
the habit of using "ci -l" at all times.  This leaves the file locked,
and thus in place.  If you have different users su'ing to root and all
editing the same file, then this scheme might give you user conflict errors
when you call "ci -l".
--
Ed Ravin        |If I were not a little mad and generally silly

                |I should show you in a moment how to grapple with the question
                |And you'd really be astonished at the force of my suggestion.

RCS for system file control

Post by Rune Mossi » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Using Make to manage RCS files sounds like a really good idea. Is there
someone that have a sample Makefile to do this? My knowledge of Make is
limited, so I would have spent several hours, if not days, figuring it
all out. A sample Makefile would be very welcomed.

: >I'm considering using RCS or SCCS for system file control (e.g.,
: >/etc/vfstab, /etc/services, etc.).  I've noticed that RCS seems to
: >have one shortcoming with this type of use in that if I do not
: >specify "-u" to the ci utility, RCS moves the file of interest to
: >a ",v" version into either the current working directory or ./RCS.
: >Omitting this switch on something like /etc/system could be
: >disastrous.

: In a past life, I managed lots of system files with RCS, and got into
: the habit of using "ci -l" at all times.  This leaves the file locked,
: and thus in place.  If you have different users su'ing to root and all
: editing the same file, then this scheme might give you user conflict errors
: when you call "ci -l".
: --
: Ed Ravin        |If I were not a little mad and generally silly

:                 |I should show you in a moment how to grapple with the question
:                 |And you'd really be astonished at the force of my suggestion.

Rune Mossige, Systems Support           Tel : +47 515 98 922
Western Geophysical, Stavanger, Norway  Fax : +47 515 98 999

                                      Mobile: +47 908 71 024

RCS for system file control

Post by John W. Herm » Sun, 23 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm considering using RCS or SCCS for system file control (e.g.,
>/etc/vfstab, /etc/services, etc.).  I've noticed that RCS seems to
>have one shortcoming with this type of use in that if I do not
>specify "-u" to the ci utility, RCS moves the file of interest to
>a ",v" version into either the current working directory or ./RCS.
>Omitting this switch on something like /etc/system could be
>disastrous.

Look for a script called rcsbackup which, I think, is on the comp.sources
archive.  It will do exactly what you want to do and it's easy to setup.
Save changes in files automatically.