War against crackers.

Post by Pat Szu » Wed, 26 May 1999 04:00:00

It has come to my attention that in the past couple of years causes of 15
year old crackers cracking into computer systems occur very often. Well,
THIS IS NOT THE WAY IT SHOULD BE! My believe is that we should form a
strong opposition against the crackers. THEY SHALL BE DESTROYED!  I call
upon all the administrators in the world to unite, and make the Internet
community a safer place.
                                        - Pat Szuta

War against crackers.

Post by dharz.. » Wed, 26 May 1999 04:00:00

> It has come to my attention that in the past couple of years causes of
> 15 year old crackers cracking into computer systems occur very often.
> Well, THIS IS NOT THE WAY IT SHOULD BE! My believe is that we should
> form a strong opposition against the crackers. THEY SHALL BE
> DESTROYED!  I call upon all the administrators in the world to unite,
> and make the Internet community a safer place.

You want to declare war against 15 yr old white boys???
That's gonna take a while.

On a very slightly more serious note, breaking into computer systems by
*agers has been going on since the modem became commercially
available.  In other words, you're a bit late for dinner.

Not to mention that trying to unite all sys admins against crackers is
like trying to get mosquitos to form a single file line.  It ain't gonna
happen.

What it boils down to is that *age boys will always find mischief and
if your security measures are lacking (i.e., the U.S. government) you
deserve what you get.

Noal
--
"You can't imagine the extra work I had when I was a god."
-Hirohito, Emperor of Japan (1901-1989)

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/

War against crackers.

Post by Juergen Hein » Wed, 26 May 1999 04:00:00

>It has come to my attention that in the past couple of years causes of 15
>year old crackers cracking into computer systems occur very often. Well,
>THIS IS NOT THE WAY IT SHOULD BE! My believe is that we should form a
>strong opposition against the crackers. THEY SHALL BE DESTROYED!  I call
>upon all the administrators in the world to unite, and make the Internet
>community a safer place.

Despite not being opposed to a kick somewhere or two ... if 15 yrs old
crackers break into a system all the time the humanware responsible for
it has got a problem.

Letting that aside, to start an "anti war" might result in lots of break
ins into other peoples systems which are missused. A bit hard to draw
the line. Wild West on the Internet is not going to make it a better.

I once noticed something unusual on a ftp server of my former company
and mentioned that to one of the guys. Actually they knew and had set
up a cron job which cleaned up until tightening the machine up even
more ... easy going chaps 8) ... and believe me, those were and are
quite good in what they are doing.

Cheers,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jrgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /

War against crackers.

Post by Michael A McCallu » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

i agree, they help us to find the holes in the systems and generally dont
have too malicious an intent.

Michael

Quote:

>What it boils down to is that *age boys will always find mischief and
>if your security measures are lacking (i.e., the U.S. government) you
>deserve what you get.

War against crackers.

Post by Michael George II » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

Pat,

As a master UNIX admin I can tell you this...

"Security is an illusion."

Consider this... You are are working at a "super secret weapons laboratory"
with air tight security.  This weapons lab is the best in the world and is
located in the richest and most technologically advanced country in the
world......  Millions of dollars are spent on all types of security,
background, checks and intrustion detection systems.  In fact, there is a
special goverment organization called the "NSA, National Security
Association" which gets millions to make sure that "TOP SECRET" stuff stays
"TOP SECRET".

15 years later........

You realize that other countries have infiltrated your lab and stolen all
your research, test results, and step by step instructions for building
compact high yield thermonuclear warheads which are about the size of a
suitcase and can destroy a medium size city....

So what's my point?? If all of these top notch security people can keep our
nations "TOP SECRET" secrets for being stolen, how do you expect us to keep
the Internet hack/crack free?

"Security is an illusion."
"Security is an illusion."
"Security is an illusion."
"Security is an illusion."

The best form of security is "security by obscurity"...........

-Micahel George III

Quote:> It has come to my attention that in the past couple of years causes of 15
> year old crackers cracking into computer systems occur very often. Well,
> THIS IS NOT THE WAY IT SHOULD BE! My believe is that we should form a
> strong opposition against the crackers. THEY SHALL BE DESTROYED!  I call
> upon all the administrators in the world to unite, and make the Internet
> community a safer place.
> - Pat Szuta

War against crackers.

Post by Craig Johnst » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Pat,

>As a master UNIX admin I can tell you this...

Nobody but a *er would refer to themselves as "a master UNIX admin."

HTH.
--
Craig Johnston

War against crackers.

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Sun, 30 May 1999 04:00:00

> Pat,

> As a master UNIX admin I can tell you this...

> "Security is an illusion."

> Consider this... You are are working at a "super secret weapons laboratory"
> with air tight security.  This weapons lab is the best in the world and is
> located in the richest and most technologically advanced country in the
> world......  Millions of dollars are spent on all types of security,
> background, checks and intrustion detection systems.  In fact, there is a
> special goverment organization called the "NSA, National Security
> Association" which gets millions to make sure that "TOP SECRET" stuff stays
> "TOP SECRET".

> 15 years later........

> You realize that other countries have infiltrated your lab and stolen all
> your research, test results, and step by step instructions for building
> compact high yield thermonuclear warheads which are about the size of a
> suitcase and can destroy a medium size city....

> So what's my point?? If all of these top notch security people can keep our
> nations "TOP SECRET" secrets for being stolen, how do you expect us to keep
> the Internet hack/crack free?

> "Security is an illusion."
> "Security is an illusion."
> "Security is an illusion."
> "Security is an illusion."

> The best form of security is "security by obscurity"...........

        translation: if you put procedures in place to prevent users from
making their password their wife's first name or the name of their
pooch, they'll write it down on a Post-It note and attach it to
their monitor.  Computers are secure, it's human nature that's not.

                              Don

--
**********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald  *      Man's gotta earn a living.

War against crackers.

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Sun, 30 May 1999 04:00:00

> >Pat,

> >As a master UNIX admin I can tell you this...

> Nobody but a *er would refer to themselves as "a master UNIX admin."

        Judging from the few postings I've seen from Mike and his haughty
use of "III" in his USENET "handle", I would tend to agree with
you.  A non-*er knows enough to know that they always have a lot
left to learn.

                        Hope this helps,
                              Don

--
**********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald  *      Man's gotta earn a living.
* Baltimore, MD      *      Dying ain't much of a living, boy.
**********************             "Outlaw Josey Wales"
http://www.veryComputer.com/

War against crackers.

Post by scrai.. » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Pat,

> As a master UNIX admin I can tell you this...

> "Security is an illusion."

> Consider this... You are are working at a "super secret weapons
laboratory"
> with air tight security.  This weapons lab is the best in the world
and is
> located in the richest and most technologically advanced country in
the
> world......  Millions of dollars are spent on all types of security,
> background, checks and intrustion detection systems.  In fact, there
is a
> special goverment organization called the "NSA, National Security
> Association" which gets millions to make sure that "TOP SECRET" stuff
stays
> "TOP SECRET".
<snip>
> -Micahel George III

Uh - Mr. Master UNIX admin, that's the National Security Agency, not an
association.  It's really part of the government - and it happens to be
one of the parts that works better than most at getting things done...
  Now that you're so sure you know it all, what do you think they're
working on that you *don't* know about - that still IS secret?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/