Null printer?

Post by Juergen Schroed » Sat, 04 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: I tried setting the sd=/dev/null in the /etc/printcap, but lpr wants a directory,
: not a file.

sd is the spool directory, you should have.
what you have to do is the lp=/dev/null.

try man printcap

Juergeb

1. Configuring IEEE-1284, null-printer cables for PLIP

Greetings:
  I am referencing the book "Linux Network Administrator's Guide"
Appendix-A, by Mr. Olaf Kirch.  This page shows how to configure the
pin-outs for a null-printer cable, for the Parallel Line Interface
Protocol (a.k.a. - "PLIP").  Does the diagram below also apply to the
IEEE-1284 enhanced parallel port standards?

        D0/ERROR        ( 2 -> 15)
        D1/SLCT         ( 3 -> 13)
        D2/PAPOUT       ( 4 -> 12)
        D3/ACK          ( 5 -> 10)
        D4/BUSY         ( 6 -> 11)
        GROUND/GROUND   (25 -> 25)

  I plan on using 6-pin RJ11 phone chord, with DB25/RJ11 adapters on
both ends.  If there's more pin-outs I need to consider, than I
obviously need to rebuild my adapters and get new phone chords (no
problem).

Thank you for your time,
    THE PRECEDING REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF THE AUTHOR
   AND NOT, NECESSARILY, THE VIEWS OF EDWARD JONES.

2. g++ 2.7.2.1/AIX 4.1.4.-

3. /dev/null busy when used for printer OW fails

4. a boot question

5. printer offline = jobs -> /dev/null

6. Passing environment variables and RPC

7. Printers sending to /dev/null

8. Advansys and 3.3-Stable Question

9. TI microLaser printer + lpr = printjob > /dev/null

10. suspect list_empty( {NULL, NULL} )

11. HELP: 2>&1 > /dev/null != 2>&- > /dev/null ???

12. pccardd[49]: No card in database for "(null)"("(null)")

13. setvbuf (logfile, NULL, _IOLBF, NULL) in a separate function