Need lpd /etc/printcap help

Post by Bret Hob » Wed, 21 Apr 1993 23:44:12

I am running lpd on a SVr3.2 AT&T 3B2 and am using an /etc/printcap
file for defining printers.  What I would like to do is to allow
printing remote files to my computer and route them to an HP Laserjet
that is connected to /dev/tty28, using the lpd software (most printing
requests will come from QVTNET), I just cant seem to figure out
what I need to put in my /etc/printcap file that will allow lpd to
route to a printer that is already defined on the system as a printer
(as it is used by the 3B2 as laserjet1 for lp printing and has an
interface programming in the /usr/spool/lp/admins/lp/interface directory)
If you can understand this and can help me out I would appreciate it as
I am somewhat new to the lpd world.

Need lpd /etc/printcap help

Post by DONALD G. RUEBENSON II - SC » Sun, 25 Apr 1993 01:16:31

Quote:>I am running lpd on a SVr3.2 AT&T 3B2 and am using an /etc/printcap
>file for defining printers.  What I would like to do is to allow
>printing remote files to my computer and route them to an HP Laserjet
>that is connected to /dev/tty28, using the lpd software (most printing
>requests will come from QVTNET), I just cant seem to figure out
>what I need to put in my /etc/printcap file that will allow lpd to
>route to a printer that is already defined on the system as a printer
>(as it is used by the 3B2 as laserjet1 for lp printing and has an
>interface programming in the /usr/spool/lp/admins/lp/interface directory)
>If you can understand this and can help me out I would appreciate it as
>I am somewhat new to the lpd world.

We run Pyramids and 3B2s here.  The Pyramids have both lpd and the AT&T
print spooler as you describe above as part of the OSx distribution.
There is no mechanism for locking destinations for use by both spoolers.

If I were dead set on doing this, I would probably put in some kind of
front end that would only allow queueing from both subsystems, and run
either one or the other spooler.

As a lark, I tried setting this up with a /etc/printcap entry that ran a
shell script to toss the job to the AT&T spooler.  Worked ok, but we are
mostly a AT&T print shop so it didn't get much of a workout.  Thus, a
low confidence level, ergo, not included here.  I could provide if
interested though.

  My $.02,
  -- donr

1. lpd/lpr broken? (/etc/printcap)

I've been trying for the better part of two days to configure a remote
printer on my Linux 1.1.59 slackware system, and am getting nowhere.  It
appears as though the :if: filter is never executed regardless of what
I do.  I built an /etc/printcap file that looks like:

lp|NEC Mod 95:\
:sh:\
:mx#0:\
:lp=/dev/m200.com1:\
:sd=/var/spool/lp1:\
:if=/var/spool/lp1/filter1:

(Note: the lp=/dev/m200.com1 line is intended to have all print output
stuffed in this file.  I created it with touch, chmod 777. Just trying
to save paper during testing.)

where the filter1 file looks like:

#!/bin/sh
/bin/touch /var/spool/lp1/f1

The f1 file is never created by touch from this last line above.
The /var/adm/messages and syslog do not provide any feedback.  The spool
directory exists, and permissions are generous.  The lpr/lpd permissions
and ownerships all appear to be valid.

Has anyone seen problems like this before?  Any help would be greatly

Thanks...
Rich Adamson

2. Printer Setup (NEC Superscript 870)

3. lpd misreads COMMENTS in /etc/printcap ???

4. How to create a ftp user such as FTP/anonymous???

5. Need help with HPDJ720, printing script file and /etc/printcap

6. Kernel Change Summary 2.0.18

7. Help needed: Ghostscript as /etc/printcap filter

8. Urgent: need bos.sysmgt.sysbr.4.2.0.0 fileset

9. Printer/printcap/lpd configuration help... Please!

10. Help required writing a lpd/printcap filter

11. remote printer for other unix...lpd, host.lpd, etc

12. Converting /etc/printcap -> /etc/lp/*

13. /etc/printcap entry needed for Printronix P-300 printer