Netscape FastTrack Server

Netscape FastTrack Server

Post by Lance Caven » Mon, 10 Mar 1997 04:00:00



 Hi,

        Just wondering if anyone cares to share how I can get my current
.htaccess/.htpasswd.db working with FastTrack? I  plan on upgrading to BSDI
3.0 very soon, and I want to use FastTrack, but I need security here for my
billing system (which modifies htpasswd.db often).

        Any help would be appreciated!

+---------------------------------------------------+

|Systems Administrator         Ascio Communications |
+---------------------------------------------------+
| "I would never lie. I willfully participated in a |
|  campaign of misinformation."        - Fox Mulder |
+---------------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

Netscape FastTrack Server

Post by Melvin C. Etherid » Mon, 10 Mar 1997 04:00:00


You don't need to use .htaccess/.htpassword with FastTrack.  It has it's
on security features built in that are easy to implement.

Mel


>  Hi,

>         Just wondering if anyone cares to share how I can get my current
> .htaccess/.htpasswd.db working with FastTrack? I  plan on upgrading to BSDI
> 3.0 very soon, and I want to use FastTrack, but I need security here for my
> billing system (which modifies htpasswd.db often).

>         Any help would be appreciated!

--
Melvin C. Etheridge
Operations Mgr&HostMaster
TelCoNet, Inc.
http://www.telconet.com
http://www.goldstag.com
http://www.bulloch.com

 
 
 

Netscape FastTrack Server

Post by Lance Caven » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00




Quote:

>You don't need to use .htaccess/.htpassword with FastTrack.  It has it's
>on security features built in that are easy to implement.

 I know that, but as I said in my message, I use a billing program that
allows users to go to a particular web page by logging in (reading
.htpasswd.db) and lets them in to check their usage.

 This program automatically updates .htpasswd.db when I delete/add etc
users. I want to have the same automation with Netscape FastTrack.

 Is this possible?

+---------------------------------------------------+

|Systems Administrator         Ascio Communications |
+---------------------------------------------------+
| "I would never lie. I willfully participated in a |
|  campaign of misinformation."        - Fox Mulder |
+---------------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

Netscape FastTrack Server

Post by Kyle Tuck » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00




Quote:

>  I know that, but as I said in my message, I use a billing program that
> allows users to go to a particular web page by logging in (reading
> .htpasswd.db) and lets them in to check their usage.

>  This program automatically updates .htpasswd.db when I delete/add etc
> users. I want to have the same automation with Netscape FastTrack.

>  Is this possible?

Netscape servers, Enterprise anyway, use an alternate mechanism
to htpasswd/htaccess; using .nsconfig files. It can access a
username database that is in the same username:crypt_password
format. In fact I use the htpasswd code from the Apache server
to change user passwords for a Netscape server using .nsconfig.
This URL will help:

        http://help.netscape.com/kb/server/960513-104.html

--
- Kyle
-----------------------------------------------------------
Kyle Tucker - UNIX Systems Administrator - EBSCO Publishing
     10 Estes Street - Ipswich, Massachusetts - 01938

-----------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Netscape FastTrack Server

Post by Lance Caven » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00



Quote:>Netscape servers, Enterprise anyway, use an alternate mechanism
>to htpasswd/htaccess; using .nsconfig files. It can access a
>username database that is in the same username:crypt_password
>format. In fact I use the htpasswd code from the Apache server
>to change user passwords for a Netscape server using .nsconfig.

 Is there anything special I must enable in FastTrack to get it to use
.nsconfig files? I've put one in the directory, however I don't seem to be
getting a window pop up for authentication.

 I appreciate the help!

+---------------------------------------------------+

|Systems Administrator         Ascio Communications |
+---------------------------------------------------+
| "I would never lie. I willfully participated in a |
|  campaign of misinformation."        - Fox Mulder |
+---------------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

Netscape FastTrack Server

Post by Wales Won » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00



>         Just wondering if anyone cares to share how I can get my current
> .htaccess/.htpasswd.db working with FastTrack? I  plan on upgrading to BSDI
> 3.0 very soon, and I want to use FastTrack, but I need security here for my
> billing system (which modifies htpasswd.db often).

I guess the technical support section of Netscape homepage
may help you -- http://support.netscape.com

From my experience, you can't convert your .htaccess to .nsconfig.
If anyone know, please let me know to.

-----
Wales Wong

Never lose faith in your ability

 
 
 

Netscape FastTrack Server

Post by Kyle Tuck » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00




Quote:

>  Is there anything special I must enable in FastTrack to get it to use
> .nsconfig files? I've put one in the directory, however I don't seem to be
> getting a window pop up for authentication.

Bad news. From the page I posted to help you on this:

" Netscape servers do support ".nsconfig" files, which do much the
same thing (and more) in a slightly different fashion.  (Netscape
FastTrack Server does not support dynamic configuration files, however.)"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I guess you'll have to upgrade to Enterprise or Commerce. Sorry to have
mislead you. :-(

--
- Kyle
-----------------------------------------------------------
Kyle Tucker - UNIX Systems Administrator - EBSCO Publishing
     10 Estes Street - Ipswich, Massachusetts - 01938

-----------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Netscape FastTrack Server

Post by Lance Caven » Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:00:00



Quote:>" Netscape servers do support ".nsconfig" files, which do much the
>same thing (and more) in a slightly different fashion.  (Netscape
>FastTrack Server does not support dynamic configuration files, however.)"
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>I guess you'll have to upgrade to Enterprise or Commerce. Sorry to have
>mislead you. :-(

 UHg!! Oh well, Netscape FastTrack can bite my /dev/null.  I can't believe
they wouldn't add dynamic config files in there. Thats friggin lame.

 Sigh..

 Off to Stronghold I go.

+---------------------------------------------------+

|Systems Administrator         Ascio Communications |
+---------------------------------------------------+
| "I would never lie. I willfully participated in a |
|  campaign of misinformation."        - Fox Mulder |
+---------------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

1. Netscape FastTrack Server under SCO UnixWare 7

    I'm currently using Netscape's FastTrack server to host multiple
virtual domains on a single machine running UnixWare 7.  After about 10
servers are started, the servers begin logging
" [02/Jul/1998:15:53:08] failure: can't create IPC pipe (libsec code
-8187)"
and the servers refuse http requests with an error. I've searched
through the kernel tuning options and can't find any settings for
pipes.  The technical archives of SCO and Netscape seem to contain
nothing on this either.  Does anyone know a solution for this?

Andrew Mann
The Chesapeake Computer Group, Inc.

2. ps2 model 80

3. HELP, cannot access Netscape Fasttrack server, need password.

4. .CELLular Service

5. How to put "LASTMOD" value in Netscape Fasttrack server?

6. serious packet loss in 25Mbps load,frame size 64byte,duration 60 second. tested with smartbits

7. Help: Netscape FastTrack Server 2.01

8. List of process signals and their meanings?

9. Help with Netscape Fasttrack Server on HPUX

10. Netscape FastTrack Server: password protection?

11. Netscape FastTrack server and OpenSSL

12. RedHat and Netscape FastTrack server

13. Help needed with Perl and Netscape Fasttrack server!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!