Question on modifying Unix kernel

Post by Bruce Melbe » Fri, 03 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Does anyone know if it is possible to modify the Unix Kernel
to cut down on the initial timeout value for the mount
command ? We are using Sun OS 4.1.2. We are mounting filesystems
in the rc.local from remote workstations but if one of those
systems is down or out for service when the system boots
it hangs for about 2 1/2 minutes before it sends it to the background.
I would like to cut down on this initial timeout factor to a minute
or less. It does not seem possible to configure the initial
timeout value using the options to mount.

Thanks.

Bruce

--
                         \\|//
                         (o o)

Switch Products Division
Plano, TX 75075

Post by Thong » Sat, 11 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: Does anyone know if it is possible to modify the Unix Kernel
: to cut down on the initial timeout value for the mount
: command ? We are using Sun OS 4.1.2. We are mounting filesystems
: in the rc.local from remote workstations but if one of those
: systems is down or out for service when the system boots
: it hangs for about 2 1/2 minutes before it sends it to the background.
: I would like to cut down on this initial timeout factor to a minute
: or less. It does not seem possible to configure the initial
: timeout value using the options to mount.

        I don't think it is necessary to change the kernel in this case.
        This may not have anything to do with the timeout but to do with
        number of retries should a nfs mount fail.  It's the case with
        SVR4 system so I am not sure about Sun OS 4.1.2.  However, you
        can look at /etc/vfstab (or equivalence) and see the retry
        option used when mounting the remote files (the default is usally
        quite large).  You can then change them to suit your requirement.

Hope this helps,
Thong
--

      Toei Mishuku Bldg., 1-13-1 Mishuku, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo 154, Japan

1. modify driver of kernel 2.2.x to kernel 2.0.x

I'm trying to use a driver for a SiS 900 NIC on an
2.0.36 linux kernel. I can't upgrade the kernel so
it has to use a 2.0 kernel.
I've noticed the driver sis900.c only works on 2.2.x or
2.4.x kernel.
I need to modify this driver for works with the 2.0.x, so I don't know what
I must to do, and what are the diferences between 2.0.x drivers and 2..2
/2.4 drivers.
Thank you.

2. help installing x

3. Ft. Worth - Linux Kernel Module Programmer - Unix kernel modules & Unix device drivers

4. Intel Pro/100+ and RH 6.0?

5. Last-modify time on directories containing modified files

6. BestPower UPS Question

7. comp.unix.questions comp.unix.misc comp.unix.sys5.r3

8. how to explain the expression in single quotes?

9. How to modify the value of SHMMAX of Linux Kernel 2.2.14 ?

10. Kernel Upgrade: Duplicating/Modifying Config

11. Modifying starting volume in Linux kernel

12. pthreads, modifies the kernel ?

13. How do I modify kernel "code" segment at run time?