Circular files under Solaris?

Post by Michael Henr » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 22:52:27

Hi,

Does Solaris (SunOS 5.6) implement circular files?

Which OSs have this feature?

Thanks,

        Michael

Circular files under Solaris?

Post by Jim » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 01:41:32

AIX supports circular log files, using the alog command.  These files
must be defined in the alog data base, and user defined files can be
created and added to the data base using odmadd command.

Jim

> Hi,

> Does Solaris (SunOS 5.6) implement circular files?

> Which OSs have this feature?

> Thanks,

>            Michael

Circular files under Solaris?

Post by Noel R. Nihil » Fri, 23 Nov 2001 03:22:21

Quote:> Hi,

> Does Solaris (SunOS 5.6) implement circular files?

If you mean things like automatic log rotation, then
no, I don't believe so. You have to do it explicitly
with shell code.

Quote:> Which OSs have this feature?

Dunno. AIX?

Quote:> Thanks,

>     Michael

_________________________
Noel R. Nihill
Unix Platform Development
Motorola NSS.
_________________________

1. nohup.out Error log file - circular files

You may want to check out the "alog" command which writes data to
a file (much as "tee" does) but I think works in a circular file
fashion.  You can put attributes of the file in the odm but you
can specify the file as options to the command.
norman levin
vm/dynamics,

2. add-single-device won't work in 2.4.3

3. Apparent Solaris patch circular dependency

4. Afterstep on Debian

5. How can I make a circular files in UNIX?

6. Basic Setup Advice Sought-Disk Partitions ?

7. Circular links

8. compuserve

9. Circular linking question

10. looking for ideas on implementing a circular log

11. Circular dependencies between shared-object libraries

12. Circular menus

13. Circular Troubleshooting