How to boot in single user mode, the root filesystem mounted in read/WRITE mode

How to boot in single user mode, the root filesystem mounted in read/WRITE mode

Post by sub.. » Tue, 18 May 1999 04:00:00

I am administering a Solaris 2.6 system on Ultra 3000 with volume
manager mirroring the root file system.

Problem:
-------
The passwd files got corrupted.

Here is what I tried:
---------------------
I wanted to recreate the passwd files.  Since booting into single user
mode mounts the file system in read only mode, I booted from the cdrom
and edited the passwd files.

And rebooted the system from the disks.  Guess what! ... the bootup
hangs.

I figured that since the volume manager was not running when I booted
from the cdrom, the changes made to the passwd files were not mirrored
and this caused problems once volume manager starts running during the
regular bootup.

The only way of changing the passwd files seems to be to boot into
single user mode from the disks (instead of the cdrom) which ensures
that the volume manager is mirroring my changes.  But, unfortunately,
the file system is mounted in read only mode and I cannot edit the
files.

I'd appreciate it very much if anyone could tell me how to mount the
filesystem in read and WRITE mode, or if there is some other way of
solving the problem of recreating the passwd files.