why am i still prompted for a password when i rlogin?

why am i still prompted for a password when i rlogin?

Post by Willie Mull » Sat, 01 Jul 1995 04:00:00

        i have edited /.rhosts and /etc/hosts.equiv to be "+"
my NeXT box (NeXTStep 3.0) allows me to rlogin, but prompts me for a
password first. The SUN boxes on our LAN do this when they are freshly
loaded with the OS, but the aforementioned file editing does away with
such annoyances. what's up with the NeXT?

why am i still prompted for a password when i rlogin?

Post by Ruedi Schwitte » Wed, 05 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Have you set the $HOME/.rhosts

Ruedi :-)
--

Oberseestrasse 10               CH-8640 Rapperswil
Phone: ++41-55234534            Fax: ++41-55234400

why am i still prompted for a password when i rlogin?

Post by Tim D. Ban » Sat, 08 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Make sure that the host that you're rlogging in from is in your
.rhosts file in the account on the machine that you're rlogging in
to.  To find out what machine you're rlogging in from, type "who".
--
Tim Bandy               University of Minnesota (systems staff)

usps://mpls.mn.usa/55414/117 Warwick/

why am i still prompted for a password when i rlogin?

Post by Sablime Administat » Mon, 10 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>Make sure that the host that you're rlogging in from is in your
>.rhosts file in the account on the machine that you're rlogging in
>to.  To find out what machine you're rlogging in from, type "who".

Been there, done that, no help.  My sytems still prompts me for a
password.  I just gave up and assumed it was a quirk of the system.
Any advice would be apreciated.
--
Brian S. Wilson ***** The above opinions result from a sick desire to
inflict my ignorance on the world and reflect the views of _no_ other

Post by David Lems » Mon, 10 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>>Make sure that the host that you're rlogging in from is in your
>>.rhosts file in the account on the machine that you're rlogging in
>>to.  To find out what machine you're rlogging in from, type "who".

>Been there, done that, no help.  My sytems still prompts me for a
>password.  I just gave up and assumed it was a quirk of the system.
>Any advice would be apreciated.

rlogind uses the ruserok() call to read .rhosts and /etc/hosts.equiv
and report whether or not it needs to ask you a password.  rlogind
usually runs as root (it has to).  Therefore, a process running as
root needs to be able to read your .rhosts file.  In an environment
where your .rhosts file is NFS mounted and the NFS directory isn't
exported from the server with the -root option, root may not be able
to read your .rhosts file, and it will fail.  So, make sure that
root can read your .rhosts file.  This may require making your home
dir at least mode 711, and your .rhosts file mode 644 if your
directory is on a remote NFS-mounted disk.
--
David Lemson                                                  (217) 244-8833
University of Illinois Computing & Comm Services Office System Administrator

Post by Adam Morris » Tue, 11 Jul 1995 04:00:00

> rlogind uses the ruserok() call to read .rhosts and /etc/hosts.equiv
> and report whether or not it needs to ask you a password.  rlogind
> usually runs as root (it has to).  Therefore, a process running as
> root needs to be able to read your .rhosts file.  In an environment
> where your .rhosts file is NFS mounted and the NFS directory isn't
> exported from the server with the -root option, root may not be able
> to read your .rhosts file, and it will fail.  So, make sure that

The original question was about a NeXT, but this is also in
comp.sys.sun.admin, and later followups didn't mention what
system they were using... so, FWIW, Sun's (actually, BSD)
ruserok() does a seteuid() for exactly the reason you mentioned.
It would be interesting to see if his ruserok() is broken.

adam?

Post by Gary.Seuber » Tue, 11 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>>Make sure that the host that you're rlogging in from is in your
>>.rhosts file in the account on the machine that you're rlogging in
>>to.  To find out what machine you're rlogging in from, type "who".

>Been there, done that, no help.  My sytems still prompts me for a
>password.  I just gave up and assumed it was a quirk of the system.
>Any advice would be apreciated.
>--
>Brian S. Wilson *****

Note that some Security packages (BoKS from DynaSoft in particular) actually
take over control of functionality such as 'ftp', 'rlogin', 'telnet', etc.
To give an example, BoKS can be configured to NEVER allow remote access without
a password.  In this type of installation, whether or not you have a .rhosts
file is ignored -- BoKS sees if a valid "access route" exists for USER "X"
from system "Y" to system "Z" and, even if you ARE allowed to 'rlogin', you
still must supply the correct password.

Gary Seubert
UNIX Class of '73 B.C. ('B'efore 'C'pio)

Post by hug » Tue, 11 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>>Make sure that the host that you're rlogging in from is in your
>>.rhosts file in the account on the machine that you're rlogging in
>>to.  To find out what machine you're rlogging in from, type "who".

>Been there, done that, no help.  My sytems still prompts me for a
>password.  I just gave up and assumed it was a quirk of the system.
>Any advice would be apreciated.
>--
>Brian S. Wilson ***** The above opinions result from a sick desire to
>inflict my ignorance on the world and reflect the views of _no_ other
>entity, organization, body, corporation, or philosophy.  (To the best

If you're running DNS, make sure that you put a FQDN in the .rhosts
file, i.e.'axalotl.demon.co.uk', not just 'axalotl'.

--
Regards,

Huge.
Hugh J.E. Davies, Computer Consultant, Bedfordshire, England.
"The road to Paradise is through *."

Post by Chris Davi » Wed, 12 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>>Make sure that the host that you're rlogging in from is in your
>>.rhosts file in the account on the machine that you're rlogging in
>>to.  To find out what machine you're rlogging in from, type "who".

>Been there, done that, no help.  My sytems still prompts me for a
>password.  I just gave up and assumed it was a quirk of the system.
>Any advice would be apreciated.

check hosts.equiv to make sure that the host is listed.  If this is from
a portmaster or a terminal server

Baltimore, MD   http://www.abs.net       voice: 410/361-8160

Post by Tim Fletch » Wed, 12 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>>Make sure that the host that you're rlogging in from is in your
>>.rhosts file in the account on the machine that you're rlogging in
>>to.  To find out what machine you're rlogging in from, type "who".

>Been there, done that, no help.  My sytems still prompts me for a
>password.  I just gave up and assumed it was a quirk of the system.
>Any advice would be apreciated.
>--
>Brian S. Wilson ***** The above opinions result from a sick desire to
>inflict my ignorance on the world and reflect the views of _no_ other
>entity, organization, body, corporation, or philosophy.  (To the best

I don't know if anyone suggested this, but the .rhosts file must be owned by
the user, and writeable only by the user, otherwise it will be ignored.

a mistake when you've made it again      |

Post by kml » Wed, 12 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>>Make sure that the host that you're rlogging in from is in your
>>.rhosts file in the account on the machine that you're rlogging in
>>to.  To find out what machine you're rlogging in from, type "who".

>Been there, done that, no help.  My sytems still prompts me for a
>password.  I just gave up and assumed it was a quirk of the system.
>Any advice would be apreciated.
>--
>Brian S. Wilson ***** The above opinions result from a sick desire to
>inflict my ignorance on the world and reflect the views of _no_ other
>entity, organization, body, corporation, or philosophy.  (To the best

I've had a similar problem with my SINIX system V.4(Siemens Nixdorf).
You should be sure that the machine name You use in hosts.equiv or
rhosts is the first name in /etc/hosts e.g. NOT an alias

maybe that's it. Maybe it's not.

Klaus Thrane

Post by Ric Zalle » Thu, 13 Jul 1995 04:00:00

.. >If you're running DNS, make sure that you put a FQDN in the .rhosts
Quote:>file, i.e.'axalotl.demon.co.uk', not just 'axalotl'.

>--
>Regards,

>Huge.
>Hugh J.E. Davies, Computer Consultant, Bedfordshire, England.
>"The road to Paradise is through *."

I had this same problem. This is the most likely answer. If you are running DNS
either update the /etc/hosts file or make sure that you use FQDN's.

Post by David Lems » Mon, 17 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>I don't know if anyone suggested this, but the .rhosts file must be owned by
>the user, and writeable only by the user, otherwise it will be ignored.

Only on some systems does it require .rhosts to be mode 600.  Many
allow 644 because of the NFS problems talked about in other articles
here.
--

Post by Tim Fletch » Tue, 18 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>>I don't know if anyone suggested this, but the .rhosts file must be owned
by
>>the user, and writeable only by the user, otherwise it will be ignored.

>Only on some systems does it require .rhosts to be mode 600.  Many
>allow 644 because of the NFS problems talked about in other articles
>here.
>--
>David Lemson                                                  (217)
244-8833
>University of Illinois Computing & Comm Services Office System
Administrator

Who said anything about 600, 644 meets the cirteria of "writeable only by
the user".

a mistake when you've made it again      |

why am i still prompted for a password when i rlogin?

Post by David Schluss » Thu, 20 Jul 1995 04:00:00

in sunOS 4.1.3 and above you need the password
sunOS 4.1.2 allowed rlogins without them.
that's what i was told and:

i can rlogin <our 4.1.2 machine> without a password from the 4.1.3 machine
but rlogin <4.1.3 machine> from the 4.1.2 machine does require a password

HTH

1. Why am I not prompted for a password?

I had my linux system operating just as I wanted, after about a week's
worth of installation and problem solving.  The system dumped a core
during an X session, and hung.  I was unable to login thereafter.

I copied .login from SLS disk 1 to /etc on a hunch, and I can now login,
but no password prompt is issued for valid users (root, and others). There
*is* a password prompt for invalid usernames.  I also get a prompt for
remote logins, as well as su's.

Any suggestion as to how to get the password prompt back for normal logins?

--

THN C237                     UUCPNet :  ...!uunet!virginia!rhh2h
University of Virginia       Voice   : " HEY Ron!! "

2. PPP LINUX<=>NT grinds to a h..a........l.............t

3. the ability to rlogin into a remote linux system w/out being prompted for a password

4. OPenBSD 2.6 & Laptop

5. rh6 rlogin or telnet session appears to be hung after password prompt

6. Trantor CD-ROM driver for T118 SCSI adaptor

7. the ability to rlogin into a remote linux system w/out being prompted for a password

8. file permissions

9. NCSA prompts twice for password? Why?

10. SMB,Why does WinXP prompt to enter password???

11. Why does rlogin ignore the first password I type always?

12. Why do I get a login/password prompt when I use a rexec command?

13. Removing Password: prompt for Account with no Password Solaris X.86