I am looking for a specific utility/script or reference how-to or FAQ or
other documented procedure to move (actually copy I guess) existing users
from one Redhat 6.1 server to an existing Redhat 7.1 server. Searching
various newsgroups, I have read a number of speculations as to how to do
this but no one seems to want to commit to anything. I find it hard to
believe that this is the first time anyone has had to do this and I am very
surprised there isn't an existing how-to on this.
Based on the research I have done so far, the following issues seem to be
relevant although I'm not certain to what extent.
1. I would like this to be seamless for the users - so no password changes.
2. All user data and mail data needs to be moved - the old server will be
going off-line at the conclusion of the move
3. There are some existing users on the new server so there would probably
be some userid/groupid conflicts
4. I have read that you can just copy relevant portions of the passwd file
but then I read some possible issues related to PAM differences between the
operating systems that might make that difficult plus there is the
5. We are using shadow passwords
6. We are not using NIS
Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks.