Move users from RH 6.1 server to RH 7.1 server

Move users from RH 6.1 server to RH 7.1 server

Post by Jeremy Chern » Fri, 26 Oct 2001 01:30:54



To All,

I am looking for a specific utility/script or reference how-to or FAQ or
other documented procedure to move (actually copy I guess) existing users
from one Redhat 6.1 server to an existing Redhat 7.1 server.  Searching
various newsgroups, I have read a number of speculations as to how to do
this but no one seems to want to commit to anything.  I find it hard to
believe that this is the first time anyone has had to do this and I am very
surprised there isn't an existing how-to on this.

Based on the research I have done so far, the following issues seem to be
relevant although I'm not certain to what extent.

1.  I would like this to be seamless for the users - so no password changes.
2.  All user data and mail data needs to be moved - the old server will be
going off-line at the conclusion of the move
3.  There are some existing users on the new server so there would probably
be some userid/groupid conflicts
4.  I have read that you can just copy relevant portions of the passwd file
but then I read some possible issues related to PAM differences between the
operating systems that might make that difficult plus there is the
userid/groupid conflicts.
5.  We are using shadow passwords
6.  We are not using NIS

Any help would really be appreciated.  Thanks.

-Jeremy

 
 
 

Move users from RH 6.1 server to RH 7.1 server

Post by Doug Freyubrg » Fri, 26 Oct 2001 08:12:50



> I am looking for a specific utility/script or reference how-to or FAQ or
> other documented procedure to move (actually copy I guess) existing users
> from one Redhat 6.1 server to an existing Redhat 7.1 server.

Most of the actions taken are routine business for full time experienced
sysadmins.  You'll be one when you're finished.

Quote:> 1.  I would like this to be seamless for the users - so no password changes.

tar passwd and group files.

Quote:> 2.  All user data and mail data needs to be moved - the old server will be
> going off-line at the conclusion of the move

dump home dirs to tape, restore to new system.  /var/mail same deal.  Requires
outage window.

Quote:> 3.  There are some existing users on the new server so there would probably
> be some userid/groupid conflicts

This you will have to do by hand.  Best to move the existing users out of the
way and handle their UIDs first, then copy the new data in.  This assumes
the relocated users are more numerous than the existing ones.

Quote:> 4.  I have read that you can just copy relevant portions of the passwd file
> but then I read some possible issues related to PAM differences between the
> operating systems that might make that difficult plus there is the
> userid/groupid conflicts.

It works for an amazing variety of systems but not for all.  Type cut-n-paste
one line, YOUR account, and see if your password works.  I believe it will.

Quote:> 5.  We are using shadow passwords

1,$s/passwd/passwd plus shadow/

Quote:> 6.  We are not using NIS

The above should be fine until you get in a much larger situation.  If you
have thousands of users, millions of files, hundred of gigabytes to be moved,
and no outage window you are in a different ball game.  See
http://relocation.wpor.net/ for a strategy in a case like this.

 
 
 

Move users from RH 6.1 server to RH 7.1 server

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Tue, 30 Oct 2001 05:07:47



> To All,

> I am looking for a specific utility/script or reference how-to or FAQ or
> other documented procedure to move (actually copy I guess) existing users
> from one Redhat 6.1 server to an existing Redhat 7.1 server.

        So why are you posting to "comp.unix.admin"?  Ask LINUX questions

the LINUX newsgroups.  They are off-topic on the UNIX newsgroups.

                Hope this helps,
                        Don

--
***********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald   *      Man's gotta earn a living.
* Baltimore, MD       *      Dying ain't much of a living, boy.
***********************             "Outlaw Josey Wales"

 
 
 

Move users from RH 6.1 server to RH 7.1 server

Post by pl.. » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 00:56:11




Quote:> So why are you posting to "comp.unix.admin"?  Ask LINUX questions
> the LINUX newsgroups.  They are off-topic on the UNIX newsgroups.

Not necessarily so. The PROCESS involved to solve the problem is
exactly the same for both UNIX and Linux systems so continue to post
to your hearts content.

Until Mrs Fool becomes the moderator of the group she can - quite
frankly - get stuffed. Try contributing an answer for a change dorkus
prunehead.

The more Linux material with a generic answer you can post just to
annoy her the better.

One and all please continue to post as many questions as you wish
regardless of operating system if they have the possibility of a
generic answer.

Plonk.

 
 
 

Move users from RH 6.1 server to RH 7.1 server

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 21:44:30




>>So why are you posting to "comp.unix.admin"?  Ask LINUX questions
>>the LINUX newsgroups.  They are off-topic on the UNIX newsgroups.
> Not necessarily so.

        Yes, by definition.

        Happy to have cleared things up for you,
                        Don

--
***********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald   *      Man's gotta earn a living.
* Baltimore, MD       *      Dying ain't much of a living, boy.
***********************             "Outlaw Josey Wales"