CPU time used on 4 CPU's?

Post by Jeff Ka » Thu, 25 Jan 1996 04:00:00

If I have 4 CPU's and am looking at one of the  various time output
programs, is the number real, or is it divided by 4?  or instance,
is it possible for me to get a cpu time usage on the system of 4
hours in a one hour period?  Or, will it only be 1 hour max.  Then,
how do I determine if all CPU's are being used equally.

BTW: This is  a DGUX system.  But, I would take any Unix flavor as
an example.

Side line:  I am looking for a good product for generating reports on
CPU usage sorted by users, Processes, and groups.  Not % of capacity,
but raw seconds of CPU time used.  Like time(1) or times(2).
Commercial is fine.  We would pay for it if it is good.

Is there a way to get times(2) to give up every process, as if it were
run by init.  I am looking for something other than inittab.  If an
inittab entry is the only way, examples would be appreciated.  I can't
play with this system to test it first!  (Crontab likewise.)

--

Sysop - Home Brew University BBS   Brew City Campus       414-238-9074
Genealogy Search:  Brickner, Kane, Kimbro, LaClaire, Snyder|Snider,

CPU time used on 4 CPU's?

Post by Jeff Ka » Thu, 25 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: Side line:  I am looking for a good product for generating reports on
: CPU usage sorted by users, Processes, and groups.  Not % of capacity,
: but raw seconds of CPU time used.  Like time(1) or times(2).
: Commercial is fine.  We would pay for it if it is good.

: Is there a way to get times(2) to give up every process, as if it were
: run by init.  I am looking for something other than inittab.  If an
: inittab entry is the only way, examples would be appreciated.  I can't
: play with this system to test it first!  (Crontab likewise.)

Before I get too many "RTFM's", I just found acctcom(1).  Instead of telling
me to read about it, Tell me what you think of it.  Is it useful?
How does it effect system resources?

--

Post by Sahir N. Siddiq » Fri, 26 Jan 1996 04:00:00

   If I have 4 CPU's and am looking at one of the  various time output
   programs, is the number real, or is it divided by 4?  or instance,
   is it possible for me to get a cpu time usage on the system of 4
   hours in a one hour period?  Or, will it only be 1 hour max.  Then,
   how do I determine if all CPU's are being used equally.

   BTW: This is  a DGUX system.  But, I would take any Unix flavor as
   an example.
------
Very highly unlikely!
First, even if there were no other users on your system, the OS
processes would take up some CPU time, so your program would never
occupy 100% of the CPU time.
Second, to be running on all four processors at the same time, your
program would have to PERFECTLY "parallelized" - no part of your
program could depend on what was happening in another.
Just my thoughts, I could be wrong.
-s
--
Sahir N. Siddiqui         Res: (201) 217-0952
PO Box 5176, Hoboken NJ 07030                       ))))

1. Sun license manager...1%cpu...1%cpu...50%cpu50%cpu50%cpu....

Hello,
    Is there a patch to fix this problem: Once and a while, the license manager
lmgrd.ste will peg a CPU (2 in this box) with activity.  It still manages the licenses
and can still receive lm messages (reread, shutdown).  This seems to happen, I have
noticed, if I ^C a compiler which is starting up.  When it goes down and I invoke it
again, it gives those annoying "socket in use" messages.  It eventually comes
completely up, but is not services licenses for those 5 minutes it complains
about sockets.  Any workarounds?

Scott

    Real Time Enterprises                               | Scott MacKay

    Pittsford,NY 14534                                  | Real Time Enterprises
- Electronic Document Imaging - System Integration -    | (716) 383-1290
        - Software Development-                         | Postmaster

2. what is _this_?!

3. what's clock time?what's user CPU time?what's system CPU time?

4. Ethernet errors/crash using SiS integrated controller on 2.4.18

5. Binding Oracle to two CPU's in a four CPU Sun Solaris 8 system........

6. Filtering escape codes from text files

7. cpu-count > # of cpu's

8. HELP!! Getting Frustrated with Linux going thru win98 too Internet

9. cpu load, multi cpu's

10. Is the time in gprof CPU time or elapsed time?

11. 'CPU time limit exceeded' message

12. 'update' eats all my CPU time!!

13. idraw uses lots of CPU even when 'idle'