automount question

Post by Timpi » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi there,

Right now I'm experiencing a hardware problem with out Unix Fileserver
running HP-UX 11.00, meaning
that we are unable to boot this machine for the time being.
This means  that people cannot login.  Temporarily I've restored their
Home dirs onto another file server and
updated the NIS distributed auto.home map with the new temporarily
available file server. Then killed the automounter
on these clients with the -TERM option and restarted it so it would see
the updated maps.

My question is the following:
All Unix clients still have automount maps in their /etc/mnttab (from
users logged in at the moment of the crash)
since I didn't have the time to unmount home dirs before the server
crashed.   Is there a way to clean up these mnttab entries ?
Users who weren't logged on at the time of the crash do get their home
dirs from the new initiated file server ... but the others
don;t since they have stale nfs mounts ... and their nfs server is not
available any more.  Is there any way to circumvent this besides
rebooting ?

Thanks

Tim
Unix Sysadmin
Alcanet Benelux

automount question

Post by shannon.petr » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Time to reboot the clients!!!

The problem is simple, and common when NFS servers crash.  Each client
has
mounted a directory on the server.  The clients can not close the
connection
without telling ther server that they are un-mounting.

The server must respond to the client in order for the client to
un-mount.
Since the server is down, your clients are just waiting for an O.Kay
from
the server.

In Most operating systems, there is nothing to do except reboot your
clients.
This will flush the mount tables from the automount daemon. (mnttab is
just
a copy for you to look at!)

If the clients are Sun, or something other than an HP, you may have an
option of "-o (I think, its been a while) which overmounts the previous
mount.  I know that HP-UX 10.XX and 11.XX do not have this option!

Best Regards.
ShannonPetry

--
| Generic Disclaimer:  I only warranty what you paid for!  |
|----------------------------------------------------------|

1. automount question

folks

i wish to use automountd but have a question about how to have the
automounted directory to be read-only when the disk that mount sits is
mounted read-write.

i have a large local partition (/dev/hda2) mounted read-write on /export
which has the following

     /export/opt
     /export/home

i intend those dirs to be automounted as:

     /export/opt     on /opt
     /export/home    on /home

however, because the home directories of the local users are on this
disk, i need /dev/hda2 mounted as read-write, but i would like a way to
have the other two mount points, when automounted, to be read-only.  is
there a way to do this?

the automount cfg is as follows:

     # /etc/auto.master
         /home       /etc/auto.home
         /opt        /etc/auto.opt

     # /etc/auto.home
         *  :/export/home/&

     # /etc/auto.opt
         *  -ro,soft  :/export/opt/&

when anything is automounted onto /opt (such as /opt/gnome), it appears
that i am still able to write /opt/gnome and indeed 'mount' reports that
/opt/gome/ is mounted rw.

i'm using autofs 3.1.7 on a 2.4.19 box with glibc 2.2.5 if thats of any
help.

additionally, is it correct for the automount point (ie /opt in my case)
only list the dirs that have been automounted?

any thoughts would be appreciated
regrds
ray

2. dial-on-demand, masquerading and DNS issues

3. XDM, Ksh, mwm, and nothing works

4. automount questions

5. PLEASE HELP (Can't receive mail on my Linux box)

6. automount question

7. pkgadd over NFS

8. automount questions...

9. automount question