FreeVeracity integrity-assessment network security tool.

FreeVeracity integrity-assessment network security tool.

Post by Ross Willia » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 22:10:14

FreeVeracity is a free integrity-assessment
network security tool for free platforms
(GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD etc) that
uses cryptographic hashes to detect unauthorized
changes in computer file systems. FreeVeracity
V3.2 is now available at:

   http://freeveracity.org/

In its client/server configuration, FreeVeracity
enables you to monitor the integrity of a whole
network of computers automatically from a single
point using FreeVeracity "snaplets". If so much as
a single bit in the monitored files changes, you
will be notified by email. This makes FreeVeracity
an excellent intrusion detection tool.

FreeVeracity is also an excellent general-purpose
data integrity tool whose applications include
backup verification, file transfer verification,
CD-ROM verification and remote file system
comparison.

FreeVeracity is released under the Free World
Licence (http://freeworldlicence.org/) which
provides all the usual free-software freedoms, but
for free platforms only.

FreeVeracity is released and supported by Rocksoft
(http://rocksoft.com/), vendor of the Veracity
(http://veracity.com/) integrity-assessment
security tool used to secure the networks of
leading global companies in finance,
communications, transport, aerospace, power
generation and defence.

You can download FreeVeracity and set up a
FreeVeracity integrity server (on IANA-allocated
FreeVeracity TCP port 1062) on a free platform
(GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD) in the next
thirty minutes by visiting the FreeVeracity
Website at:

   http://freeveracity.org/

I hope you find FreeVeracity useful. If you have
any comments or questions, please email me at

Ross.

Rocksoft Limited  http://rocksoft.com/
Veracity Software http://veracity.com/

Post by Valentín Guillé » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 00:07:58

> FreeVeracity is a free integrity-assessment
> network security tool for free platforms
> I hope you find FreeVeracity useful. If you have
> any comments or questions, please email me at

Now, this may be what it purports to be.... But then again, it could be
an example of social engineering, purporting to be something, but
actually is something else.

How would I know if this is actually a useful program, and NOT secretly
some trojan?  Is this program signed by any authenticating
organization?

Is this just a website which someone constructed to fool me?

I went to the website, and it looks amateurish to me...  NOT a good
sign.

And then who ever heard of the "Free World License"?   Then there are
the photographs of RMS and ESR, but not with endor*ts?  What's up
with that?

This is a classic example of why the internet is becomming a dangerous
place.

 ONLY AN IDIOT WOULD DOWNLOAD, INSTALL, OR USE UNKNOWN PROGRAMS, BUT
ESPECIALLY PROGRAMS WHICH PURPORT TO BE OR ASSOCIATED WITH SOMETHING
DESIRABLE.

WATCH OUT FOR THIS ONE!!!!

--
Valentn Guilln
http://www.veryComputer.com/~vguillen

FreeVeracity integrity-assessment network security tool.

Post by BNAZ » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 17:47:17

I have used it before and it is fine, program is a bit shite like!

> FreeVeracity is a free integrity-assessment
> network security tool for free platforms
> I hope you find FreeVeracity useful. If you have
> any comments or questions, please email me at

Now, this may be what it purports to be.... But then again, it could be
an example of social engineering, purporting to be something, but
actually is something else.

How would I know if this is actually a useful program, and NOT secretly
some trojan?  Is this program signed by any authenticating
organization?

Is this just a website which someone constructed to fool me?

I went to the website, and it looks amateurish to me...  NOT a good
sign.

And then who ever heard of the "Free World License"?   Then there are
the photographs of RMS and ESR, but not with endor*ts?  What's up
with that?

This is a classic example of why the internet is becomming a dangerous
place.

 ONLY AN IDIOT WOULD DOWNLOAD, INSTALL, OR USE UNKNOWN PROGRAMS, BUT
ESPECIALLY PROGRAMS WHICH PURPORT TO BE OR ASSOCIATED WITH SOMETHING
DESIRABLE.

WATCH OUT FOR THIS ONE!!!!

--
Valentn Guilln
http://www.veryComputer.com/~vguillen

1. FreeVeracity integrity-assessment network security tool.

[...]

2. Kernel change summary 1.1.51 -> 1.1.52

3. FreeBSD-3.0 + XFree86-3.3.3 + CTX monitor?

4. RH 5.0 and jdk1.1.3

5. Can't Compile ROCAT