NT to Unix Printing

Post by Dan Sambe » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I have installed TCP/IP printing on NT and used the lpr port to vector
the output of my lexmark optra
R plus with postscript driver to a unix box. NO error messages are
generated and from NT
it looks as if the file has printed. You can even watch the file go into
the queue on the Unix side
by typing lpq...... BUT NOTHING COMES OUT!

If you use the same driver and have it print to a file & ftp it to the
unix box and then lpr it manually....
IT PRINTS!

If you use the same driver and have it print to a file & lpr it from
NT's command line.... IT ALSO PRINTS!

If anyone has any idea WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING..... help me.....

Dan Samber
Mount Sinai School of Medicine

NT to Unix Printing

Post by HervĂ© CHIBOI » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi Dan

I worked during a whole year with NT boxes printing on Optra R/R+/S
connected to RS/6000 servers.
I never had problems, check the following points :

Which Printer processor do you use, should be RAW, look in the NT resource
kit doc for more details
about print processors.

IS your NT box NFS client of any UNIX servers ?

Check that the .PS file is a real postcript one (open it w/ ghostview for
instance)

What is your UNIX and which version ?

What kind of Windoze file do you try to print (word .doc or just text files)
?

Herve

Dan Samber a crit:

Quote:> I have installed TCP/IP printing on NT and used the lpr port to vector
> the output of my lexmark optra
> R plus with postscript driver to a unix box. NO error messages are
> generated and from NT
> it looks as if the file has printed. You can even watch the file go into
> the queue on the Unix side
> by typing lpq...... BUT NOTHING COMES OUT!

> If you use the same driver and have it print to a file & ftp it to the
> unix box and then lpr it manually....
> IT PRINTS!

> If you use the same driver and have it print to a file & lpr it from
> NT's command line.... IT ALSO PRINTS!

> If anyone has any idea WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING..... help me.....

> Dan Samber
> Mount Sinai School of Medicine

NT to Unix Printing

Post by JR Tietsor » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

How are you sending the print job?  From within an application
or at the command line (copy file \\server\queue)?  NT will
only use the print drivers if you print from a GUI application.

If you simply copy the file to the unix queue, it will probably
get there, but will not be formatted correctly.  If you print to a
file from within your application, then you have the correct
formatting codes and the file will likely print just fine.

Cheers,
J.R. Tietsort

>I have installed TCP/IP printing on NT and used the lpr port to vector
>the output of my lexmark optra
>R plus with postscript driver to a unix box. NO error messages are
>generated and from NT
>it looks as if the file has printed. You can even watch the file go into
>the queue on the Unix side
>by typing lpq...... BUT NOTHING COMES OUT!

>If you use the same driver and have it print to a file & ftp it to the
>unix box and then lpr it manually....
>IT PRINTS!

>If you use the same driver and have it print to a file & lpr it from
>NT's command line.... IT ALSO PRINTS!

>If anyone has any idea WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING..... help me.....

>Dan Samber
>Mount Sinai School of Medicine

NT to Unix Printing

Post by Garry Garre » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

You might also consider setting up Samba on your Unix box and
doing printing via Samba (in which case your Unix box is trying
to emulate an NT print server, instead of having your NT box
emulate a Unix print client like you are now).  Just a thought.

Garry J. Garrett
CSG Systems, Inc.      ._o    see my homepage for a "mailto:" tag
2525 North 117th Ave.    |>   to send me e-mail...
Mailstop 2-A             4
Omaha, NE 68164-3679

CSG Systems - http://www.csgsys.com/
My Homepage - http://monarch.papillion.ne.us/~ggarrett

I do not speak in any capacity on behalf of CSG Systems.
I get into enough trouble speaking for myself.

1. NT - SCO UNIX Printing

I've an running 2 SCO Openserver v 5.04 servers on a local area network
which also includes a couple of NT servers and 20-30 NT workstations.   All
connected via CAT 5 cable and hubs over IP network

I would like to be able to print from the UNIX servers and attached dumb
terminals through to the NT printers

Any help appreciated

Regards

Mick

2. Newbie Linuxer

3. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

4. CANNOT Install Linux - Swapper crashes !!! HELP

5. NT print onto Unix Printer

6. stddef.h, stdarg.h, float.h where??

7. Unix print to NT spooler

8. Help with Castlewood ORB and Linksys Etherfast 10/100 NIC

9. Printing from NT to Unix

10. Print to Microsoft NT Server 3.51 or Win95 from SCO Unix ?

11. Printing from unix client to NT server.

12. How to print from Unix to NT to Novell

13. unix file print to windows nt printer