Automatic Replying...

Post by Benjamin G. Bens » Mon, 05 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Does anyone know how to create an automatic mail reply system that will
read the incoming messages, and then send a message back to those
which contained a specific string?  Maybe a program like masterplan that
works with the mail port (25) instead of the finger (79)?

I had my account set up to automatically mail the fingerer a message, but
this would only work for local users, and the sysop wants a real .plan
instead of the symbolic link type.

Any information would be greatly appreciated,

--
        - Benjamin G. Benson            "Behind every big man

Automatic Replying...

Post by Josh Renzem » Wed, 07 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>what can you do on a linux system?

Get vacation and compile it.  It is not on sunsite.  Do an archie search.  We

Cheers!

Josh

Automatic Replying...

Post by Bradd Pit » Wed, 07 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Try doing a man vacation on your unix system to check out the manual
pages on vacation...it tells you exactly what to do..

Regards
Brad

Automatic Replying...

Post by Dave Leona » Fri, 09 Jun 1995 04:00:00

> >what can you do on a linux system?
> Get vacation and compile it.  It is not on sunsite.  Do an archie search.  We

The elm mailer comes with a program called filter. i think its a bit more
flexible than vacation IMHO

David Leonard                            BE(Comp)/BCompSc 5th year student

Automatic Replying...

Post by Pierre Cappellett » Sat, 10 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Does anyone know how to create an automatic mail reply system that will
>read the incoming messages, and then send a message back to those
>which contained a specific string?  Maybe a program like masterplan that
>works with the mail port (25) instead of the finger (79)?

On our system we have procmail: a powerfull autoreply system that filter
message with regexp and enable you to call external programs to generate the
reply and take care of the incoming message.

--
   Pierre (Cappelletti)                                     (__)
   http://www.et.tudelft.nl/people/jacobs.html              (oo)

Automatic Replying...

Post by Doug Hugh » Sat, 10 Jun 1995 04:00:00

|> Does anyone know how to create an automatic mail reply system that will
|> read the incoming messages, and then send a message back to those
|> which contained a specific string?  Maybe a program like masterplan that
|> works with the mail port (25) instead of the finger (79)?
|>
|> I had my account set up to automatically mail the fingerer a message, but
|> this would only work for local users, and the sysop wants a real .plan
|> instead of the symbolic link type.
|>
|> Any information would be greatly appreciated,
|>

|> --
|>   - Benjamin G. Benson            "Behind every big man

vacation and/or procmail will do what you want.
vacation is built-in to most unix systems
procmail is available free via anonymous ftp.

Doug Hughes                                     Engineering Network Services
System/Net Admin                                Auburn University

Automatic Replying...

Post by Peyton Bla » Sat, 10 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> Does anyone know how to create an automatic mail reply system that will
> read the incoming messages, and then send a message back to those
> which contained a specific string?  Maybe a program like masterplan that
> works with the mail port (25) instead of the finger (79)?

If you want to roll your own, can't you put something in your .forward file
to send the message text to a script or program which can then do anything
you want?  Seems like your .forward file would contain a line like
   |my_processing_script
I've never done this, however, I'll have to admit.  The message text comes
into your processing script on stdin.

Good luck,
Peyton

Peyton Bland                                     Digital Image Processing
Lab
Dept. of Radiology                                     University of
Michigan
"We all have better moments than anybody ever knows, and so do all the
others.  We are a great mystery.  Each one of us is a secret, and on that
basis we ought to treat each other with the deepest respect."      --
Garrison Keillor

Automatic Replying...

Post by Ben Aveli » Mon, 12 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: The elm mailer comes with a program called filter. i think its a bit more
: flexible than vacation IMHO

I suggest you (also) have a look at procmail.

    Regards, Ben

Automatic Replying...

Post by Michael Mill » Wed, 14 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

If you are using deliver as the local delivery system, take a look at
the .deliver file!

It is a "powerfull" feature that is often uderused! Uses scripts to do the
processing... should be able to do what you want- hell it can do virtually
anything- except make coffee (well if you had a coffee machine on the
network...)

Hope this helps!
Cheers
Mike

Systems Administrator           (WWW page : http://mars.cs.unp.ac.za/~mmiller)
Maritzburg College                (phone  : +27 331 451841)

Automatic Replying...

Post by Yury Germa » Thu, 15 Jun 1995 04:00:00

If anyone is using FILTER (part of elm) or anyo other program that gives you an
option to forward mail to different mailboxes can you let me know please
I am looking for a program (or an example of a Filter file input)

Thanks for the help!

-- ---------------------------------------------------------------

DigiTek Consulting           http://www.panix.com/~digitek/

1. Location of automatic reply generator.

to be standard in the Berkeley Unix release (try the man page to see
if you have it.)  Also, here is a message I received  from Tim
Theisen:

bsd sources.
You can find it on ftp.uu.net in the directory bsd-sources/usr.bin/vacation.
It keeps track of addresses and only responds once per week.  The time is
settable.  It does not respond to mail from root, MAILER-DEMON, etc.  It
only repsonds to mail explicitly to you.  It replies with a message that
you have constructed which can have whatever special headers you desire.

Hope this helps, ...Tim

Tim Theisen             Department of Computer Sciences
Systems Programmer      University of Wisconsin-Madison

(608)262-0438           Madison, WI   53706

2. Problems when adding additional memory

3. automatic reply on incoming mail: HOW???

4. For anyone wanting Linux, but don't have FTP access...

5. automatic reply databank...

6. Which one best graphic card for linux and windows95

7. Automatic Reply

8. sed w/ special chars

9. Automatic Reply from Trash (fwd)

10. Automatic replies

11. Automatic Replies

12. How to setup an automatic reply from ELM

13. Automatic Reply from Trash