Tru64 Unix 5.0 vs NCD XTerminals

Post by Art Werschul » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi.

We recently upgraded a DEC (well, it was DEC when we bought it:-)
AlphaServer 1000 from Digital Unix 4.0F to Tru64 Unix 5.0.  In
addition, we have a lab that contains about two dozen NCD XTerminals.

Students use the NCDs to do an xdm-based login on the TruUnix
machine.  The students' .xsession files invoke a window manager
(fvwm95-2, FWIW).

Prior to the upgrade, this all worked fine.  Post upgrade, there's a
problem.  It seems that fvwm95-2 notices that a window manager (the
NCD Window Manager) is running, and the xdm session gets clobbered.

Note that the NCD Window Manager is running directly on the
XTerminals, and not on the TruUnix box.  This means that (for
instance) the Xsession file can't search for an NCD Window Manager
process and kill it.

Does anybody have any idea how to fix this?  Currently, we are telling
students to disable the NCD Window Manager by hand before doing the
xdm login, but this is inelegant, to say the least.

Thanks.

--
Art Werschulz (8-{)}   "Metaphors be with you."  -- bumper sticker
GCS/M (GAT): d? -p+ c++ l u+(-) e--- m* s n+ h f g+ w+ t++ r- y?

Phone:   Fordham U. (212) 636-6325, Columbia U. (212) 939-7061

1. Tru64 Unix 5.0 vs. NCD XTerminals

[...]

ATTnet:   Columbia U. (212) 939-7061, Fordham U. (212) 636-6325

2. Make a Linux Partition

3. NCD Xterminal and HP LaserJet Printer on Unix.

4. install PKG package without pkgadd

5. NCD Xterminal Xncd16 ???? HELP!

6. RH6.1 and 3Com 3c509B io problem

7. Help: NCD Xterminal with Xfree86

8. Microsoft Ballpoint Mouse and Xconfig

9. NCD xterminal + Linux

10. NCD xterminal screen size

11. pcsim under NCD Xterminals?

12. NCD Xterminals