hostname length limits?

Post by James T. Denni » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 07:54:48

 I'm curious; what are the length limits for hostname's under
 most recent versions of UNIX (Linux, HP-UX, Solaris, AIX)?

 What are the likely symptoms of setting the hostname too long?

 Horror stories?  Testing tricks?

 (This is DNS and the local 'hostname' command: NIS* et al are
 not under consideration in this case; however any caveats
 would be appreciated).

hostname length limits?

Post by Robin of the Hoo » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 13:37:22

>  I'm curious; what are the length limits for hostname's under
>  most recent versions of UNIX (Linux, HP-UX, Solaris, AIX)?

>  What are the likely symptoms of setting the hostname too long?

>  Horror stories?  Testing tricks?

>  (This is DNS and the local 'hostname' command: NIS* et al are
>  not under consideration in this case; however any caveats
>  would be appreciated).

I am sure that the Unix command of hostname will support whatever the
limit imposed by the RFC, which is what you should be more concerned
about.  Is there any reason why you would be concerned about overly
long hostnames, other than curiousity?

--
Robin of the Hood
Lead Systems Administrator / Database Administrator / Web Programmer

1. .rhosts....hostname+domain length

I have a situation where  I must use a rsh and .rhosts to access another
application on a RH7.0 server.

My problem seems to be the length of the hostname+domain in the .rhosts
for resolution.

If I keep the name below 18 characters, I can resolve fine.  Or of
course use the IP addresses.

It seems to have a problem with length.

Is there a length issue with .rhosts and resolving names??

--
City of Kenosha, Wisconsin USA, IS

(262)653.4201

2. Ethernet cabling

3. Solaris Hostname MAX Length

4. Secure NFS and NIS+ problem solved

5. Trim length of hostname

6. Gigabit Ethernet Card with NS Chipset

7. limitations on hostname length / characters

8. Nedit highlight syntax??

9. Restrictions on Length of Hostname?

10. Length of hostname for gethostname?

11. How do I get the full length hostname?

12. group length limit (nis?)

13. /etc/group line length limit?