How to organize lots of incoming email?

Post by Tim Rams » Sat, 22 Feb 1992 18:17:04

I'm trying to decide how I want to organize incoming email.  I divide
incoming email into three broad classes: personal, work, and mailing
list (junk).  In a typical working day, I get perhaps 10 personal
messages, 10 work related messages, and somewhere around 40 mailing
list messages.  I use elm to read each mailbox.

How do other people handle lots of incoming mail?  How do you arrange
to read the important stuff first and the rest later?  Do you use one
mailbox or many?  What do you use to sort your mail?  To read it?

Reply to me if you want; I'll post a summary of responses.

--

Department of Mathematics, Kansas State University, Manhattan KS  66506-2602

1. Mail for MY e-mail is acting strange today (no incoming e-mail)

OK, here is a strange one.

along, an SMTP connection to our ISP, and we read e-mail via POP (Outlook
98).
Today, Outlook said it had a Mail Error (Timeout), so I went looking.  In
the /usr/spool/mail directory there was a bob.lock file.  So I removed it.
Then a bunch of e-mail dumped into bob (over 748mb) and it was repeats upon
repeats.  So I moved the file to my home directory under a different name
(mv /usr/spool/mail  /u/bob/text.mail) so that it would not interfere with
anything.

No deliver will not deliver local mail to bob.  Every other user is fine.
SMTP mail is coming in fine.  (bob mail is sitting in the local queue -
MMDF)  Nothing I do now will allow any mail to go to bob.  I removed the
/usr/spool/mail/bob file, and it almost immediately will create a bob file
with zero bytes.
When I do a checkmail -m, it shows all of the queued up bob e-mail showing
as bob:not yet sent

I have run a /usr/mmdf/bin/checkque (nothing abnormal shows).
I have run /usr/mmdf/bin/cleanque   /usr/mmdf/bin/cleanlck
We have plenty of free disk space (2.2 gb free) and plenty of free inodes
(7% used).
/usr/sys is mode 755, owned by sys, group sys

I even did a shutdown and restarted the system, and not e-mail will go to
bob.
I looked for any strange files in the home directory (/u/bob), nothing.

If I go to a UNIX prompt (logged on as bob) and type mail, it just moves the
cursor down to the next line and hangs. (no error, no nothing).  It is like
there is  lock file somewhere, but I have not found one.

Thanks for any assistance.
If I am missing anything above, just let me know and I will be glad to post
any further info.

CCS Enterprises, Inc.   http://www.ccs.com
P.O. Drawer 1690      Easton MD  21601
(410) 820-4670       FAX: (410) 476-5261
Personal: http://www.intercom.net/user/consult

2. Need DOSEMU XMS help.

3. Incoming Email filtering question

4. XKeysym -file

5. Re-directing incoming email?

6. lilo problim (boot)

7. Handling incoming E-Mails

8. Plug In Linux HD to a new machine

9. HOW-TO: Deny Incoming Email from Specific Domains

10. archiving incoming/outgoing emails - procmail recipe needed

11. Limited Size of Incoming Email?

12. HOW-TO: Deny Incoming Email from Specific Domains

13. metamail - incoming email print immediately