cpio vs. afio ???

Post by Joerg Ettric » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 16:14:25

Hi all,

I'm writing a shell script for backing up several hosts in our (small)
network. I intend to use cpio, but in terms of tape capacity I'm not
sure wether afio would be the better choice. One full backup of critical
data is about 30 GB, say at least 3  DDS3 tapes, while Incremental
backups would fit on a single tape.

Could someone give me an advice, or could someone give me some his
experience on using cpio/afio? Can anyone tell me something about the
benefits and the limitations of cpio/afio?

Thanks + best regards,

Joerg

cpio vs. afio ???

Post by pe.. » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 05:37:09

> Hi all,
> I'm writing a shell script for backing up several hosts in our (small)
> network. I intend to use cpio, but in terms of tape capacity I'm not
> sure wether afio would be the better choice. One full backup of critical
> data is about 30 GB, say at least 3  DDS3 tapes, while Incremental
> backups would fit on a single tape.

If you talking about backup "dump" is the proper tool. It handles
multi-volume tapes by defaul ( you probably need to tell dump
just how big your tapes are)

Quote:> Could someone give me an advice, or could someone give me some his

--
Peter H?kanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)

cpio vs. afio ???

Post by Doug Freyubrg » Fri, 23 Nov 2001 02:08:56

> I'm writing a shell script for backing up several hosts in our (small)
> network. I intend to use cpio, but in terms of tape capacity I'm not
> sure wether afio would be the better choice. One full backup of critical
> data is about 30 GB, say at least 3  DDS3 tapes, while Incremental
> backups would fit on a single tape.

If your version supports a compressed tape drive device, use that.  It
will do better compression than either, or at least compression will
lower CPU load.  Doing this with either one will result in the same
capacity on the tape.

I'm with Peter Hakonson that dump is better in most cases than cpio.
Dump runs one filesystem at a time, which is what most people want in
backups.  Cpio must be driven with find -xdev and/or -local, more work.

1. tape battle: tar vs afio vs cpio vs..

 I have a newbie question. I just put in a scsi external 24gb DAT drive
and it works great. I am now putting together the backup scripts and
wanted to know what veterans recommend. Right now it seems afio is winning
the battle because it compresses individual files. Are there any lesser
known programs out there that are gems?

2. Best GUI developement platform for linux

3. cpio/afio writing directories?

4. PROBLEM with SENDMAIL

5. adding files to an AFIO or CPIO archive

6. help with junk mail.

7. ?cpio vs tar vs dump

8. rsh question: copying files

9. Archive times: cpio vs tar vs backup

10. tar vs afio usage - help please

11. afio vs. tar

12. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

13. Tar Vs. Cpio