Adding Several User at a Go

Post by Natu Mwamb » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hello,
Can any one inform me on how to add new users at go?
The pogram should be able to read inials as login and random password.
I would appreciate your guidance.

Natu

Adding Several User at a Go

Post by D. J. Bircha » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Hello,
> Can any one inform me on how to add new users at go?
> The pogram should be able to read inials as login and random password.
> I would appreciate your guidance.

I don't have an exact answer, but you could probably hack together
some kind of script (maybe in Perl) that would parse a textfile
containing a list of users' names, pick out the initials and run
whatever command-line user-management tool you have on your system
with the appropriate options.  You may have to have it crypt the
random passwords before passing them to that tool, though.

For example, a script might wind up executing a command that looks
something like this:

useradd -u 1001 -g 100 -n abc -d /home/abc -s /bin/csh -p 5ad92fa

to specify a userid, group ID, username, home directory, shell and
(crypted?) password.

Hope this gets you heading in a good direction,

-Dan

--
Dan Birchall, V.P. of Technology, Digital Facilities Management
Internet/Extranets/E-Commerce - http://www.digitalfm.com/

Adding Several User at a Go

Post by Tim Ree » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

It would certainly be useful to know what flavor of unix you are
using. This procedure can very tremendously between different flavors.

Tim

> Hello,
> Can any one inform me on how to add new users at go?
> The pogram should be able to read inials as login and random password.
> I would appreciate your guidance.

> Natu

Tim Reed
UNIX Systems Administrator

Adding Several User at a Go

Post by Natu Mwamb » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> It would certainly be useful to know what flavor of unix you are
> using. This procedure can very tremendously between different flavors.

> Tim

> > Hello,
> > Can any one inform me on how to add new users at go?
> > The pogram should be able to read inials as login and random password.
> > I would appreciate your guidance.

> > Natu

> --
> Tim Reed