printcap for IBM4019 on Sun 3/260

Post by Ruth Miln » Thu, 24 Oct 1991 23:50:09

I am trying to connect an IBM 4019 PostScript laser printer to a Sun 3/260
running SunOS 4.0.3. It is being connected through a serial port (on an MCP
board), via a serial<->parallel converter box, to the parallel port on the
printer.

We have another IBM 4019 already connected in exactly this way on a Convex,
and both printers work fine when plugged in there. The printcap entry on the
Convex is:

ps1|PostScript1|IBM PostScript Printer:\
        :lp=/dev/tty0f:br#19200:ms=decctlq:sd=/usr/spool/psd1:mx#0:\
        :lf=/usr/adm/lpd-errs:pu:sh:

Neither printer will work with this entry on the Sun. If we plug an Epson dot-
matrix printer in instead, the file prints and we can see that all the
characters in the PostScript file do get to the printer (though of course I
can't check any trailing control characters). But nothing prints on either
of the IBM printers. The "buffer" light blinks as it does during normal
processing, then it goes out and the job disappears. The same file works fine
when either printer is connected to the Convex.

I have tried it with and without the decctlq on the Sun. We have also swapped
serial<->parallel converters, with the same result: both work on the Convex,
neither works on the Sun.

What else do I need to do to make this work? Is there some addition to the
printcap that is generally needed for PostScript printers on Suns?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
--
Ruth Milner
Systems Manager                     NRAO/VLA                  Socorro NM

1. 7043-260 RS/6000 43P-260

Elarasys, Inc. has an over stock of the below systems, own your own
64-Bit System:

7043-260 RS/6000 43P Model 260
1.44MB 3.5-in Diskette Drive
Integrated Ultra SCSI Adapter
Integrated Ethernet Adapter
Service Processor
32x Speed CD-ROM Drive
3029 9.1GB 1" UltraSCSI 16-Bit Enhanced Hard Disk Drive
4098 Memory Expansion Feature
4110 256MB (2x128MB) SDRAM DIMMs
4342 200MHz POWER3 Processor, 4MB L2 Cache
9800 Power Cord

Hardware Cost $950.00

Upgrade to Dual Processor System Add $200.00
Upgrade Memory 256MB Add $150.00

Also have unbeatable pricing on 7025-F50's email me for details.

All system come with a 30 day warranty and are guaranteed acceptable
for IBM maintenance.

Michael Deacon
(800) 787-6364

Please visit www.elarasys.com

2. HELP!!! lost+found overwritten by ufsrestore, what to do?

3. Looking for the elusive Sun 4/260 SunOS boot tapes.....

4. cylinders

5. Can't Install Solaris 2.4 on Sun 4/260

6. Diamond-HOWTO

7. Solaris 2.1 on a Sun 4/260

8. SysV package system on FreeBSD?

9. FS: 6 Sun SPARCServer 4/260

10. Problem booting Solaris 2.2 from CDROM on SUN 4/260

11. sun 3/260 help

12. Can't Install Solaris 2.4 on Sun 4/260

13. Linux on IBM 7043-260