Mount, read or extract files from a floppy image file (MSDOS) under Unix system

Mount, read or extract files from a floppy image file (MSDOS) under Unix system

Post by c.. » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I search for a program on Unix, like a windows one called Winimage,
which read files from a floppy image file.

This file is a MS-DOS floppy file.

I think, it's possible with Linux to mount a imaage but I don't know why
?

I work on SUN Solaris and an HP UX, and a program like a 'tar xvf' of
this type og image will be welcome. I search an the internet and I can't
find nothing.
The ultimate goal is to put a seies of floppy on a CDROM, having the
floppy disk image.
I know making all the step except extract files from the images file on
UNIX.

If you have an answer, give an answer to this question by the news group
/ and by mail.

In advance thanks.

Nicolas Clochard

Mount, read or extract files from a floppy image file (MSDOS) under Unix system

Post by Joe Durusa » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

    You need to specify name and rev of OS if you want a specific answer.
In general, mount the floppy like you would mount anything else.  If your
system supports it, use the -pcfs switch to tell the system that it is a pc
filesystem, and not one native to the unix system.

    The standard utils, like cp, ls, rm, etc will work.  If the files are
ascii test,
use dos2unix to convert the files to unix conventions.

Speaking only for myself,

Joe Durusau

> Hi,

> I search for a program on Unix, like a windows one called Winimage,
> which read files from a floppy image file.

> This file is a MS-DOS floppy file.

> I think, it's possible with Linux to mount a imaage but I don't know why
> ?

> I work on SUN Solaris and an HP UX, and a program like a 'tar xvf' of
> this type og image will be welcome. I search an the internet and I can't
> find nothing.
> The ultimate goal is to put a seies of floppy on a CDROM, having the
> floppy disk image.
> I know making all the step except extract files from the images file on
> UNIX.

> If you have an answer, give an answer to this question by the news group
> / and by mail.

> In advance thanks.

> Nicolas Clochard

Mount, read or extract files from a floppy image file (MSDOS) under Unix system

Post by cra.. » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I couldn't parse most of the post, but in response to:

Quote:> The ultimate goal is to put a seies of floppy on a CDROM, having the
> floppy disk image.

I'd suggest you try dd.

Craig

Mount, read or extract files from a floppy image file (MSDOS) under Unix system

Post by Oliver Maa » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Try the mtools you can find on http://smc.vnet.net.

If you do not have a sun unix you can download the source.

Oliver

Post by Andrew Smallsh » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I search for a program on Unix, like a windows one called Winimage,
> which read files from a floppy image file.

> This file is a MS-DOS floppy file.

> I think, it's possible with Linux to mount a imaage but I don't know why
> ?

The other posters have interpreted this differently, but the way I'd read
this is you want to mount an actual disk image, not dd it to a floppy or
extract its files.

Under SCO OpenServer, I have a 'marry' command that dresses up a regular
file to look like a block device, which can then be mounted.  Whilst it
isn't a standard feature, I'd be amazed if something like it wasn't
availiable for Linux, though you may have to look around for it.

--
Andrew Smallshaw

Post by pe.. » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>> Hi,

>> I search for a program on Unix, like a windows one called Winimage,
>> which read files from a floppy image file.

>> This file is a MS-DOS floppy file.

>> I think, it's possible with Linux to mount a imaage but I don't know why
>> ?

In FreeBSD something called "vnconfig" is available; manpage goes like this :
     vnconfig - configure and enable vnode disks

SYNOPSIS
     vnconfig [-cdeuv] special_file regular_file [feature]
     vnconfig -a [-cdeuv] [-f config_file]

DESCRIPTION
     The vnconfig command configures and enables vnode pseudo disk devices.
     The first form of the command will associate the special file
     special_file with the regular file regular_file allowing the latter to be
     accessed as though it were a disk.  Hence a regular file within the
     filesystem can be used for swapping or can contain a filesystem that is
     mounted in the name space.

And yes, i assume it can be done in Linux too.

> The other posters have interpreted this differently, but the way I'd read
> this is you want to mount an actual disk image, not dd it to a floppy or
> extract its files.
> Under SCO OpenServer, I have a 'marry' command that dresses up a regular
> file to look like a block device, which can then be mounted.  Whilst it
> isn't a standard feature, I'd be amazed if something like it wasn't
> availiable for Linux, though you may have to look around for it.
> --
> Andrew Smallshaw

Peter H?kanson            Phone +46 0708 39 23 04
Network Management AB     Fax   +46 031 779 7844
Email : use peter (at) gbg (dot) netman (dot) se  No copy to sanford wallace!

1. Can msdos file system handle double space DOS file system ?

Just wonder whether the msdos file system in Linux can handle double
space DOS system.  I have a double space DOS disk partition.  When I mount
the partition with msdos file system, I only see top level DOS files.
I would like to access the regular DOS files.  I have linux 1.3.2 kernel.
Can any new kernel handle that ?

Hsing Yuan

2. wabi 2.0 colors

3. make a msdos image on a linux file system?

4. How to connect to internet by using ppp on red hat linux 4.2

5. Enhanced Filing system - file system like DEC Advanced File system for Linux

6. linux 1.2.4 slower?

7. can Linux read MSDOS 6.2 DoubleSpace file system?

8. NIS and AIX-4.1.4

9. mounting msdos floppy prob: vfsmount(msdos) error

10. can't mount msdos file system

11. Problem copying files with holes to msdos file system

12. Swap file on an msdos or nfs file system.

13. 2nd hard drive, MSDOS file system, how to mount?