SunOS 4.1.3: Too much idle time

Post by D.C. Willia » Tue, 24 May 1994 15:28:45

Greetings to all:

I've been running some computationally intensive engineering code under
Solaris 2.2 for about a year, and when it's the only active process on
the machine, it gets pretty much all of the CPU time (ie: idle time = 0
from top ver. 3.3). Running the same code under 1.1.1_B on an identical
machine leaves >60% idle time, even when the process is reniced to -19.
Obviously, I'd like to maximize CPU utilization, but not being familiar
with 1.1.1_B (a.k.a. 4.1.3_U1), I don't know how to do this. Assistance/
suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
(email replies preferred - will summarize if others are interested)

D.C. Williams

1. AIX 4.3 idle time: is 4% idle time acceptable?

I'm running a system primarily running batch jobs.
Since a couple of days we're running substantially
more jobs on the system. As a consequence, sar reports
on occasions about 4% idle time over multiple 5-minute
intervals.

Are these "acceptable" idle time numbers for an AIX
system, or does this indicate we should reduce
the system's load or upgrade the machine?

What "rules of thumb" exist?

Thanks, Mark

2. Booting SCSI HD with SRM

3. Is Kernel Idle time really idle?

4. IP-Masq and FTP problems

5. Idled for Sunos 4.1.4 ?

6. Some questions about disk

7. Tool that show network socket idle time

8. MP3 player for linuxPPC

9. Idle time for Novell sessions in DOS box

10. PPP and idle time

11. No response after idle time

12. Strange Problem with idle time ...

13. Using utmp for idle time