Answer to why Sun wouldn't talk to default gateway

Answer to why Sun wouldn't talk to default gateway

Post by Joe Gill » Tue, 05 Apr 1994 23:02:42

First, to everyone who offered help, thank you.  In fact, a couple of remarks
by the inimitable Steve Simmons, while not right on the money, were close
enough that I was able to see the answer when it popped up.  He said I had
a bad hub, then took that back when I pointed out that all the other boxes,
which happen to be PCs and Macs, worked fine.  He also said that sometimes
Sun Ethernet cards were hyper-sensitive, and indeed, while etherfinding on
the net I found much noise that the hospital net people needed to clean up.
Alas, that clean up did not fix my Sun.  Then I had the bright idea to un-
hook the Sun from the hubs, unhook the hubs from the hospital backbone, and
plug the Sun straight into the backbone.  Hallelujah, the Sun could see the
router!  Once my elation died down I had another bright idea, again inspired
by Steve's remarks.  I took the Sun out of one hub and put it into another.
Bingo.  So I conclude Steve was sort of right on both counts, but righter
when he said the Sun might be too sensitive.  It likes the nicer, more
expensive hub, but not the cheapy.  Now for the next problem...