Seeking global authorization system (Summary)

Post by Bob Jon » Sat, 21 Mar 1992 17:41:00

>We here at the University of Oregon are interested in setting up (and
>maintaining ;-) a (secure!) global authorization database that would serve a
>heterogeneous environment of Suns running SunOS, VAXes running VMS, and Novell
>servers.  There are some common entities in the authorization for each of the
>aforementioned systems (e.g., group-id, user-id, username) that we would like
>to keep synchronized across our computing environment.  We hope that this will
>facilitate remote access via such commands as rcopy and rlogin while at the
>same time minimize the number of times users' passwords need to travel around
>the network.  Does anyone know of any products that already exist to do this?
>I'd appreciate any tips or other info.  Please e-mail responses to me - if
>there is sufficient interest I will summarize to the net.  Thanks much.

Here, finally, is a summary of what information I did receive:

athena-dist.mit.edu via anonymous ftp for the Athena Technical Plan documents.
He also recommends subscribing to the Kerberos discussion mailing list at

MULTINET for VMS, which uses a Unix /etc/passwd file to map VMS users to UNIX
users but doesn't cover our Novell NetWare concerns.

hypothetical heterogeneous environment.  NIS is an option (not necessarily the
best) among most Unix systems.  He, too, suggested something like Kerberos.

The consensus around here seems to be that MIT's Project Athena holds the most
promise for us.  If anyone else has any ideas regarding this subject, I'd still
be delighted to hear about them.  Once again, e-mail would be best.  Thanks.
--
Bob Jones     "33"
Computing Center, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR  97403  (503)346-1731

1. Advice sought: seeking archival storage system for Linux

Recently, due to space shortage on my Windows 95 partition, I have moved my
huge collection of Offline Archive files to my Linux ext2 partition.  These
are files that I've accumulated over time -- shareware programs, graphics
files, etc. -- that I need to keep around in accessable format (if a friend
requires a certain shareware program, I should be able to dig it up within a
reasonable amount of time, etc.).  Moving them over to Linux is acceptable
because it doesn't take much effort to shut down Windows 95 (when I'm at a
convenient "stopping point" in my work), boot into Linux, get the files, etc.

The ideal solution, of course, would be to either get a bigger hard drive, or
(this is what I REALLY want to do) get an entire machine to dedicate to
Linux, so that I can use both at the same time (which is what I want to do
anyway).  But alas, money is the limiting factor: basically, I have none to
spend.

My problem is that, with all the stuff dumped onto my Linux system, I have no
space available.  In order to fit all my archives on Linux, I had to compress
a great deal of the system binaries and all of my local files.  This leaves
very little of a usable system, so I can't get a lot of work done.

What I do have is about a TON (literally!) of 3.5" high density (1.44Mb)
floppy disks.  What I am looking for is a Linux program that I can use to
archive all of my stuff onto these floppy disks.

The program would have to do this:

Priority     Function
========     ========
high         Maintain a "table of contents" that lists what files are on
             what disk(s)

high         Be able to random-access the archive: if I wanted a specific
             file, and it was located on disk #14, I wouldn't have to go
             through disks #1-13 to get to it.

high         Be able to add new files to the end of the archive, without
             having to re-do the whole thing all over again.

low          Be able to store the files in any of the filesystem formats,
             mainly MS-DOS.

I'm hoping (and praying) that this isn't such an insurmountable task.  Surely
someone else has come up with a need similar to mine, and maybe a program
exists that can fill these needs.

I'm attempting to search the archives, but so far, have had not much luck.

Please, if anyone nows of a program that can help me out, please e-mail a
response (preferable) or post a follow-up.  Thanks!
--

TEL: (805)564-1871 // FAX: 564-2315 // WWW: http://www.silcom.com/~picard
PGP Public Key and more are available through the Auto-Responder -- send

2. GRE Tunnel

3. GLOBAL NETWORK SEEKS YOU

4. redirecting ftp standard output problem in ftp-backupscript

5. Advice sought: global zone pkgs vs. local zone pkgs

6. du and counting

7. global cshrc files ? (SUMMARY)

8. DE650 PCMCIA ethernet help - errors sending/receiving etc.

9. GLOBAL NETWORK SEEKS YOU

10. Summary: "Optimization opportunities unexploited: examples sought"

11. Posix summary sought

12. Event Announcement: Internet Global Summit: Global Distruted Intelligence for Everyone