I want FTP default to be -rwxrwxrwx files, NOT system default like -rw-rw-rw- files !

I want FTP default to be -rwxrwxrwx files, NOT system default like -rw-rw-rw- files !

Post by John Fetzk » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 21:50:38

Hi,

I am a "rookie" HP-UNIX  Sys Adminstrator.

I want FTP to be default at -rwxrwxrwx for all files.  I don't want the
system default like -rw-rw-rw- or whatever.

I tried "umask" in the profile file (setting umask to 0) and I got the
system default mode like -rw-rw-rw-.  I tried the ftpd command in the
"inetd.conf" configuration file and I still got the system default.  How can
I "bypass" this system default ?  What does the system default come from ?
I really hope it's possible.

Let you know that I am not interested in "anonymous" FTP.

Any recommedation or suggestion ?

Thank you,
John

I want FTP default to be -rwxrwxrwx files, NOT system default like -rw-rw-rw- files !

Post by Joe Durusa » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 03:43:52

        Well, you could get the source for wu-ftpd and change it, but there
are no commands to do that sort of thing automatically, at least not in
most systems.
Another possiblity would be to run some sort of script with cron, if
only
a single directory is involved.

Speaking only for myself,

Joe Durusau

> Hi,

> I am a "rookie" HP-UNIX  Sys Adminstrator.

> I want FTP to be default at -rwxrwxrwx for all files.  I don't want the
> system default like -rw-rw-rw- or whatever.

> I tried "umask" in the profile file (setting umask to 0) and I got the
> system default mode like -rw-rw-rw-.  I tried the ftpd command in the
> "inetd.conf" configuration file and I still got the system default.  How can
> I "bypass" this system default ?  What does the system default come from ?
> I really hope it's possible.

> Let you know that I am not interested in "anonymous" FTP.

> Any recommedation or suggestion ?

> Thank you,
> John

I want FTP default to be -rwxrwxrwx files, NOT system default like -rw-rw-rw- files !

Post by Aaron Peterse » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 01:35:17

Try editing your /etc/default/ftpd file (you may have to create it).  Mine
looks like this:
# cat ftpd
UMASK=027

Quote:> Hi,

> I am a "rookie" HP-UNIX  Sys Adminstrator.

> I want FTP to be default at -rwxrwxrwx for all files.  I don't want the
> system default like -rw-rw-rw- or whatever.

> I tried "umask" in the profile file (setting umask to 0) and I got the
> system default mode like -rw-rw-rw-.  I tried the ftpd command in the
> "inetd.conf" configuration file and I still got the system default.  How
can
> I "bypass" this system default ?  What does the system default come from ?
> I really hope it's possible.

> Let you know that I am not interested in "anonymous" FTP.

> Any recommedation or suggestion ?

> Thank you,
> John

I want FTP default to be -rwxrwxrwx files, NOT system default like -rw-rw-rw- files !

Post by sd » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 00:06:29

BUT, even if you simply touch a file with umask 0, you will still get rw-rw-rw
because its not an exectuable.

-mike

>Try editing your /etc/default/ftpd file (you may have to create it).  Mine
>looks like this:
># cat ftpd
>UMASK=027

>> Hi,

>> I am a "rookie" HP-UNIX  Sys Adminstrator.

>> I want FTP to be default at -rwxrwxrwx for all files.  I don't want the
>> system default like -rw-rw-rw- or whatever.

>> I tried "umask" in the profile file (setting umask to 0) and I got the
>> system default mode like -rw-rw-rw-.  I tried the ftpd command in the
>> "inetd.conf" configuration file and I still got the system default.  How
>can
>> I "bypass" this system default ?  What does the system default come from ?
>> I really hope it's possible.

>> Let you know that I am not interested in "anonymous" FTP.

>> Any recommedation or suggestion ?

>> Thank you,
>> John

I want FTP default to be -rwxrwxrwx files, NOT system default like -rw-rw-rw- files !

Post by Joe Durusa » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 04:03:09

        You just can't do what the OP wants with umask.  I have heard
that wu-ftpd could be tweaked to do this sort of thing, bu tI've never
tried it.  Besides, why do you want to do this?  It would seem safer to
teach the user how to use chmod to get executable files.

Speaking only for myself,

Joe Durusau

> BUT, even if you simply touch a file with umask 0, you will still get rw-rw-rw
> because its not an exectuable.

> -mike

> >Try editing your /etc/default/ftpd file (you may have to create it).  Mine
> >looks like this:
> ># cat ftpd
> >UMASK=027

> >> Hi,

> >> I am a "rookie" HP-UNIX  Sys Adminstrator.

> >> I want FTP to be default at -rwxrwxrwx for all files.  I don't want the
> >> system default like -rw-rw-rw- or whatever.

> >> I tried "umask" in the profile file (setting umask to 0) and I got the
> >> system default mode like -rw-rw-rw-.  I tried the ftpd command in the
> >> "inetd.conf" configuration file and I still got the system default.  How
> >can
> >> I "bypass" this system default ?  What does the system default come from ?
> >> I really hope it's possible.

> >> Let you know that I am not interested in "anonymous" FTP.

> >> Any recommedation or suggestion ?

> >> Thank you,
> >> John

1. I want FTP default to be -rwxrwxrwx files, NOT system default like -rw-rw-rw- files !

Hi,

I am a "rookie" HP-UNIX  Sys Adminstrator.

I want FTP to be default at -rwxrwxrwx for all files.  I don't want the
system default like -rw-rw-rw- or whatever.

I tried "umask" in the profile file (setting umask to 0) and I got the
system default mode like -rw-rw-rw-.  I tried the ftpd command in the
"inetd.conf" configuration file and I still got the system default.  How can
I "bypass" this system default ?  What does the system default come from ?
I really hope it's possible.

Let you know that I am not interested in "anonymous" FTP.

Any recommedation or suggestion ?

Thank you,
John

2. Preventing people from linking to files (Apache)

3. FTP'ed files default to '-rw-r--r--' i need '-rw-------'

4. Should I return RH6.0

5. File permission set to -rw-rw-rw-?by Apache/CGI?

6. XFree 86 3.1 X11R6 (Linux) Available (!)

7. Summary: ftpd from SunOS 4.1.3 creates files with rw-rw-rw

8. Harddrive duplication - ncurses and kernel calls

9. ftpd from SunOS 4.1.3 creates files with rw-rw-rw

10. vi (Re: =-> Is /tmp: -rw-rw-rw- root system" a risc?)

11. A SIMPLE SHELL PROGRAM CHANGE /etc/passwd mode to -rw-rw-rw-

12. flexlm on HPs requires rw-rw-rw- on /dev/lan0

13. broken 2.2 IDE CD-RW (was Re: plain 2.2.X: no ide CD-RW?)