Ways to quickly check for network problems?

Ways to quickly check for network problems?

Post by srhad.. » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Is there some sort of simple way to check if the network is behaving
correctly, other than ping, ping doesn't cut it.  I've sometimes
experienced a strange situation where if I rlogin into machines that I
normally can without any password, suddenly I have to entire a password,
and then the system seems to be missing lots of commands.

Then there was a situation where I tried to access a file that I can
normally access any time, but I was getting a message saying the file
can't be found.

I was trying to think of a simple way to test if something strange is
happening with the network, this could be useful to some scripts I have
running.  One idea is to create a test file on in the directory I will
be using and occasionally try to cat the file to see if the file can be
read.

thanks for any ideas.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. Any other ways to link a linux machine to a network

SLIP for doing it 'for real', term if you dont happen to be root on the
Sun in question or have the authority to get SLIP installed on it. BTW
fix your From line 8)

Alan

--
  ..-----------,,----------------------------,,----------------------------,,

 ``----------'`--[Anti Kibozing Signature]-'`----------------------------''
One two three: Kibo, Lawyer, Refugee :: Green card, Compaq come read me...

2. libsocket

3. Any device to mount my network card side ways instead of vertical?

4. MS thinks PRICE DROP...

5. ways to share files in public network

6. Is there a good IMAP4 server for Linux?

7. ways to setup network printer question

8. WinGate & Linux

9. cvs check out problems..cannot check out files into the repository itself.

10. Have simple network problems? Check your IP!

11. PROBLEM: PDC20267 fails (in different ways) with 2.4.20-rc3 and

12. Problem dialing out, Modem dials to quickly

13. PHP Security Problems Quickly Solved