No shell error

Post by Tim » Sun, 24 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I'm running HP-UX 10.20 on 4 identical machines.  Each was built
following the same procedures, but one is acting up.

When I attempt to logon as a user, (or su to that user,) I get the
response 'No shell' and the session disconnects.  It doesn't seem to
matter which shell I choose for the user, and all of the file/directory
permissions look accurate.  I've deleted and readded the user, and this
made no difference.  Looking in /etc/passwd, the shell setting is
accurate, and points to a valid shell on a mounted file system.  It
doesn't matter how I create the user, how I set the default shell, which
shell is the default, etc., I get the same result.

This works fine on the other 3 systems.

Anyone have any ideas what might cause this, and how to correct it?  If
I can't find an answer, I'll simply wipe the machine and start over.
Since the machine is not yet in production, I won't lose much except my
time.  On the other hand, I'd much rather know what's doing this.

TIA.

No shell error

Post by Anil » Sun, 24 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Check SYSLOG for errors? Double check the permissions, especially
/, /etc etc.

>I'm running HP-UX 10.20 on 4 identical machines.  Each was built
>following the same procedures, but one is acting up.

>When I attempt to logon as a user, (or su to that user,) I get the
>response 'No shell' and the session disconnects.  It doesn't seem to
>matter which shell I choose for the user, and all of the file/directory
>permissions look accurate.  I've deleted and readded the user, and this
>made no difference.  Looking in /etc/passwd, the shell setting is
>accurate, and points to a valid shell on a mounted file system.  It
>doesn't matter how I create the user, how I set the default shell, which
>shell is the default, etc., I get the same result.

>This works fine on the other 3 systems.

>Anyone have any ideas what might cause this, and how to correct it?  If
>I can't find an answer, I'll simply wipe the machine and start over.
>Since the machine is not yet in production, I won't lose much except my
>time.  On the other hand, I'd much rather know what's doing this.

>TIA.

No shell error

Post by Frank Mabre » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Also check the permissions for the user's directory and it's parents as well
as for the .login or .profile files.

1. Trying to run nohup from Korn shell but getting Bourne shell errors

Help! Duh!
I would like to run a process in background with nohup on a
SOLARIS 2.3. How can I get the korn shell script detectsetup
to be interpreted under ksh.

In Korn shell I attempted...

$ /bin/ksh -c "/usr/bin/nohup /export/home/setupin/detectsetup&"

$ [1]   15276

$ Sending output to nohup.out

Checking the process I find....

USER   PID    PPID COMMAND
pagein 15414     1 sh /export/home/setupin/detectsetup
                            ^
                           | Why not Korn shell

My nohup.out file errors indicate Bourne shell is interpreting Korn shell
script (doesn't understand integer or [[).

2. Warnings compiling httpd

3. Not Available these Signal nos on Linux

4. executing programme from a programe

5. CD-RW: CDFS? Unstable dev nos?

6. finding out the IP-Address of a incoming telnet call?

7. NOS shootout

8. Linux setup

9. Seeds for random nos.

10. faster NOS: NetWare or Linux?

11. Software to read NOS/VE backup tapes

12. Help: What is best NOS/platform for Oracle?