hooking mac SCSI disk to Unix Machine

Post by Ralph J. Verril » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

HI,

I want to permanently move my external SCSI mac disk (a Quantum drive)
over to one of my UNIX machines (an IBM ThinkPad 850 running AIX 4.1.4)
and was wondering if anyone knew what I needed to do to get this to work.

On my initial attempt I simply pluged the disk in and then booted the
machine into the test mode (holding down F1) and then ran the SCSI self
test (all SCSI devices numbered uniquely).  The SCSI self test came up
with an error on when checking out the mother board and not the disk. When
the SCSI drive was removed from the machine it tests out fine, so there
must be something the machine does not like about the drive.

Does anyone know if I can get this thing to work and what that would involve?

Bob

Composite Design Technologies
235 Wyman Street
Suite 110
Waltham, MA 02154

Post by Volker Borche » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

|> On my initial attempt I simply pluged the disk in and then booted the
|> machine into the test mode (holding down F1) and then ran the SCSI self
|> test (all SCSI devices numbered uniquely).  The SCSI self test came up
|> with an error on when checking out the mother board and not the disk. When
|> the SCSI drive was removed from the machine it tests out fine, so there
|> must be something the machine does not like about the drive.

Maybe you set the drive's SCSI ID to that of the host adapter?

        vb
--

Post by Johan Hedi » Sat, 08 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> HI,

> I want to permanently move my external SCSI mac disk (a Quantum drive)
> over to one of my UNIX machines (an IBM ThinkPad 850 running AIX 4.1.4)
> and was wondering if anyone knew what I needed to do to get this to work.

> On my initial attempt I simply pluged the disk in and then booted the
> machine into the test mode (holding down F1) and then ran the SCSI self
> test (all SCSI devices numbered uniquely).  The SCSI self test came up
> with an error on when checking out the mother board and not the disk. When
> the SCSI drive was removed from the machine it tests out fine, so there
> must be something the machine does not like about the drive.

> Does anyone know if I can get this thing to work and what that would involve?

We use Mac SCSI disk on our Suns all the time. It works great. What
about SCSI id? Do you have two disks with the same id?

| Ph.D. Student and System Manager | http://www.fusion.kth.se/~johanh |

1. can I hook up a standard Mac/PC SCSI disk to my SPARC 5?

Can I hook up a standard Mac/PC SCSI disk to my SPARC 5?

I want to buy one of those fancy, reliable, yet cheap SCSI RAID disks
advertised for Macintoshes and PCs.  I don't want to pay $20,000 for
genuine Brand-S.

Can I hook up an off-the-shelf SCSI disk to my SPARC 5 without being a
wizard?  How long should it take?  Does having a RAID make it vastly
more complicated?  (I'd consider just hooking up an ordinary 4 or 8 GB
SCSI disk if the RAID can't be made to work.)

Please respond via email also.

Thanks,

Philip
--

      -- Philip Greenspun

MIT Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
545 Technology Square, Rm 609, Cambridge, MA 02139, (617) 253-8574
Personal Web URL:  http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/philg/

2. Oracle on Multi-processor AIX UNIX box

3. ufsdump from disk to disk (machine - machine)

4. 3Com 3C900B Ethernet Card

5. Error message on SCSI disk, Adaptec EZ-SCSI 4.0, SCO UNIX 5.02

6. Trying to get Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG working with Debian 3.1

7. Mac Applications on Unix Machines?

8. Radeon 7500 -- help needed

9. linux scsi disk on mac problem/questions

10. Is there a way to mount a Mac SCSI disk on Solaris 2.1??

11. mounting mac scsi disk on a Sun 3/80

12. unix writing Mac Disks

13. hook up to mac +file sharing