vi config, terminal setting or Xceed configuration issue ?

vi config, terminal setting or Xceed configuration issue ?

Post by Tim Schelfhou » Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi there,

I seem to be having a terminal setting problem rather than a vi
configuration problem:

When I try to enter numbers from the numeric section of the keyboard in the
vi editor some letter appears and the line shifts up.  When I do this on
the command prompt it behaves normally.  I guess vi resets the terminal
settings in some mode so my keyboard settings do not correspond what is set
up in exceed anymore.
Everything behaves normally when I access Unix without exceed using telnet
from the NT prompt.

Anybody an explanation ?

Note: We access Unix thru the Hummingbird Xceed X terminal software on an
NT windows PC.

vi config, terminal setting or Xceed configuration issue ?

Post by Icarus Spar » Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>When I try to enter numbers from the numeric section of the keyboard in the
>vi editor some letter appears and the line shifts up.  When I do this on
>the command prompt it behaves normally.  I guess vi resets the terminal
>settings in some mode so my keyboard settings do not correspond what is set
>up in exceed anymore.
>Everything behaves normally when I access Unix without exceed using telnet
>from the NT prompt.
>Anybody an explanation ?

Yes, the keypad is being put into 'application mode' by 'vi'. You will have
a different terminal type when you are logged in via telnet and Xceed.

Icarus

1. set -o vi issues on ksh

Hi.
 I use /bin/ksh on linux and use set -o vi, for line edits on command
line. On Solaris, it works find, with as many charecters per line, but
on LINUX, it wraps around after certain number of charecters, and
shows me only the last few charecters.
my prompt is 30 charecters long. I have notice that if I set my prompt
to more than 80 chars, it ponly shows that last few.

ths screws up in long commands on the shell command line.. like for
loop etc.

I have tried adjusting vi (or vim) options, by changing the EXINIT
variable/ .exrc/ .vimrc file, for nowarp/ textwidth/ wrapmargin etc..

even the cols and rows. I have seen this behaviour only when I set my
EDITOR=vi, or set -o vi.

help. I want to use ksh on linux (red hat whatever), and use  set -o
vi/ and be able to type more than 80 charecters on the command line.

Sriram
Post a follow-up to this message

2. Help linuxconf !!!!

3. Terminal settings for vi

4. setuid bit in VMS-ULTRIX-CONNECTION UCX files

5. Terminal set-up and vi problem

7. How does one set up a dumb local terminal (which getty, config, etc.)?

8. FreeBSD 3.4 CD-ROM Distribution

9. why doesn#t "set -o vi" enable vi style cmdln editing?

10. setting up X-terminal configuration - how?

11. Telnet/pseudo-terminal 'issue' issue

12. Samba config on Redhat 7.1 Server config issues?

13. bash : "set -o emacs" and "set -o vi"