Good SSH2 client for MS windows

Good SSH2 client for MS windows

Post by Bob L » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 19:33:08



With the current telnetd exploit problems, you might want to consider
switching over to SSH2 for encrypted connections.  There is a new SSH2
client for Windows that is pretty good and even allows you to do Zmodem file
transfers over SSH2.  You can go to http://www.radient.com to try their
30-day trial version.

Bob

 
 
 

Good SSH2 client for MS windows

Post by Joh » Sun, 29 Jul 2001 00:56:58


Another good ssh2 client can be demo'd from
 http://www.f-secure.com/ and yet another from
 http://www.netterm.com/
I don't no radient's offering, so I can't compare,
but I've used both of the above and either does
the job.  f-secure costs more and is a cleaner,
smoother program.  Again, either does the job,
but YMMV, etc.

!With the current telnetd exploit problems, you might want to consider
!switching over to SSH2 for encrypted connections.  There is a new
SSH2
!client for Windows that is pretty good and even allows you to do
Zmodem file
!transfers over SSH2.  You can go to http://www.radient.com to try
their
!30-day trial version.
!
!Bob
Fix my email address by removing "no" words and the "com.ercial"
.  Don't kill Clinton or spy encrypted h-bombs or trust the NSA
or weed the Columbian plot for bricks of dollars.

 
 
 

Good SSH2 client for MS windows

Post by Mark Mynste » Sun, 29 Jul 2001 01:01:07



> Another good ssh2 client can be demo'd from
>  http://www.f-secure.com/ and yet another from
>  http://www.netterm.com/
> I don't no radient's offering, so I can't compare,
> but I've used both of the above and either does
> the job.  f-secure costs more and is a cleaner,
> smoother program.  Again, either does the job,
> but YMMV, etc.

How about free options?

Here are some free options for windows...

http://www.openssh.org/windows.html

I believe that PuTTY is SSH2 compliant.  I do not know about the others.
--
-MM
                                               /"\
(No un-solicited email please.)                \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign
See following url,                              X      Against HTML Mail
http://pages.prodigy.net/mmynsted/spamoff.htm  / \

 
 
 

Good SSH2 client for MS windows

Post by 242 » Sun, 29 Jul 2001 03:59:30




>> Another good ssh2 client can be demo'd from
>>  http://www.f-secure.com/ and yet another from
>>  http://www.netterm.com/
>> I don't no radient's offering, so I can't compare,
>> but I've used both of the above and either does
>> the job.  f-secure costs more and is a cleaner,
>> smoother program.  Again, either does the job,
>> but YMMV, etc.

> How about free options?

> Here are some free options for windows...

> http://www.openssh.org/windows.html

> I believe that PuTTY is SSH2 compliant.  I do not know about the others.

        Putty is a great client, thought I think it's still beta it seems mostly
bug free
 
 
 

Good SSH2 client for MS windows

Post by Jonathan Abb » Sun, 29 Jul 2001 06:03:20



| With the current telnetd exploit problems, you might want to consider
| switching over to SSH2 for encrypted connections.  There is a new SSH2
| client for Windows that is pretty good and even allows you to do Zmodem file
| transfers over SSH2.  You can go to http://www.radient.com to try their
| 30-day trial version.
|
| Bob

My favorite ssh client on Windows is SecureCRT, which you can get at
http://www.vandyke.com/products/securecrt/.  It's not cheap,
however.. at $100 for a single copy, you can get a fully loaded RedHat
or SuSE Linux distribution (with OpenSSH) installed for less than
that.

Alternatively, you can get Tera Term Pro with SSH support at
http://www.zip.com.au/~roca/ttssh.html for free.  It makes a
completely adequate SSH terminal program, but does not include the
extensive support for port forwarding and other VPN-like features that
SecureCRT does.

--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Applied Research Laboratories                 The University of Texas at Austin
Ganymede, a GPL'ed metadirectory for UNIX     http://www.arlut.utexas.edu/gash2

 
 
 

Good SSH2 client for MS windows

Post by Juergen P. Mei » Sun, 29 Jul 2001 20:19:32



>Another good ssh2 client can be demo'd from

PuTTY - works great (ssh v1 and ssh v2 support in _one_ binary,
just like OpenSSH for unix) supports 3DES Blowfish and AES
encryption and all for free! (free as in beer and speech,
and opensource)

The terminalemulation (xterm with a _working_ vt100 emulation)

Works much more stable than most comercial ones i tried out.
(Even the development snapshot [2001-06-29])

btw, has an ssh agent, scp and sftp client support.
also does plain telnet and rlogin for those who care.

get it at: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

Juergen
--

 
 
 

Good SSH2 client for MS windows

Post by DaDeXTe » Mon, 30 Jul 2001 02:58:04


why get a 30-day trial when you can have an excellent client like putty for free?


Quote:> With the current telnetd exploit problems, you might want to consider
> switching over to SSH2 for encrypted connections.  There is a new SSH2
> client for Windows that is pretty good and even allows you to do Zmodem file
> transfers over SSH2.  You can go to http://www.radient.com to try their
> 30-day trial version.

> Bob

 
 
 

Good SSH2 client for MS windows

Post by mudpu.. » Mon, 30 Jul 2001 04:36:56


Last time I tried Putty, it caused all sorts of lock-up/crashing
problems with my Win98se partition. This was around December 2000.
When I uninstalled Putty, everything was fine. I went and got
SecureCRT (one of them 30-day trial proggies) with an academic license
instead. I'm all for free software, but based on my experience Putty
doesn't seem quite ready enough for "prime-time", as the saying goes.

>why get a 30-day trial when you can have an excellent client like putty for free?

 
 
 

Good SSH2 client for MS windows

Post by Zims Manso » Mon, 30 Jul 2001 05:42:31


The Cygwin port of OpenSSH is another decent one.

--
The speed of time is one second per second.

 
 
 

Good SSH2 client for MS windows

Post by Bernd Eckenfel » Mon, 30 Jul 2001 05:59:27



> Last time I tried Putty, it caused all sorts of lock-up/crashing
> problems with my Win98se partition. This was around December 2000.
> When I uninstalled Putty, everything was fine. I went and got
> SecureCRT (one of them 30-day trial proggies) with an academic license
> instead. I'm all for free software, but based on my experience Putty
> doesn't seem quite ready enough for "prime-time", as the saying goes.

Since putty is a simple .exe file i cant see how it should affect the
stability of your disk. Putty is pretty stable and full featured.

Greetings
Bernd

 
 
 

Good SSH2 client for MS windows

Post by Michael Heimin » Mon, 30 Jul 2001 06:09:01



> With the current telnetd exploit problems, you might want to consider
> switching over to SSH2 for encrypted connections.  There is a new SSH2
> client for Windows that is pretty good and even allows you to do Zmodem file
> transfers over SSH2.  You can go to http://www.radient.com to try their
> 30-day trial version.

> Bob

Hello,

I'm not sure why you post this to multiple unix related ng?

However, from my experience, using putty/secureCRT/whatever, is always
noticeable slower than connecting from UNIX -> UNIX. So go and install
a real OS, you can get a full Linux distro
for less then only this one program would cost.

Michael Heiming

 
 
 

Good SSH2 client for MS windows

Post by Juergen P. Mei » Mon, 30 Jul 2001 18:55:54



>Last time I tried Putty, it caused all sorts of lock-up/crashing
>problems with my Win98se partition. This was around December 2000.

Did you write a bugreport?

Juergen
--

 
 
 

Good SSH2 client for MS windows

Post by moonie ; » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 03:37:59



> Last time I tried Putty, it caused all sorts of lock-up/crashing
> problems with my Win98se partition. This was around December 2000.
> When I uninstalled Putty, everything was fine. I went and got
> SecureCRT (one of them 30-day trial proggies) with an academic license
> instead. I'm all for free software, but based on my experience Putty
> doesn't seem quite ready enough for "prime-time", as the saying goes.


> >why get a 30-day trial when you can have an excellent client like putty for free?

I have been using putty for about a year on many different windows machines (98SE, NT4
sp4 through sp6a,  and Win2000 Advanced Server, and Pro) with absolutely NO problems
what so ever.

moonie ;)

 
 
 

Good SSH2 client for MS windows

Post by ... » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 10:35:13



>Last time I tried Putty, it caused all sorts of lock-up/crashing
>problems with my Win98se partition.

Hmm, funny. We have used it previous here, and had no
problem. {both the ssh1 and ssh2 version}
The only reason we changed for SecureCRT , was the
flexibillity of S-CRT.

Quote:>This was around December 2000.
>When I uninstalled Putty, everything was fine. I went and got
>SecureCRT (one of them 30-day trial proggies) with an academic license
>instead. I'm all for free software, but based on my experience Putty
>doesn't seem quite ready enough for "prime-time", as the saying goes.

--
http://www.usenet.dk/netikette/quote.html
UNIX: designed by programmers, for programmers.
 :-)
--
 
 
 

Good SSH2 client for MS windows

Post by Michael Si » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 12:55:01


for some reason theres some connections that  putty WILL establish that
securecrt wont, its odd, but if putty works, thats good enough for me :)



> >Last time I tried Putty, it caused all sorts of lock-up/crashing
> >problems with my Win98se partition.

> Hmm, funny. We have used it previous here, and had no
> problem. {both the ssh1 and ssh2 version}
> The only reason we changed for SecureCRT , was the
> flexibillity of S-CRT.

> >This was around December 2000.
> >When I uninstalled Putty, everything was fine. I went and got
> >SecureCRT (one of them 30-day trial proggies) with an academic license
> >instead. I'm all for free software, but based on my experience Putty
> >doesn't seem quite ready enough for "prime-time", as the saying goes.

> --
> http://www.usenet.dk/netikette/quote.html
> UNIX: designed by programmers, for programmers.
>  :-)
> --

--
Michael Sim
System/Network Administrator
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Mobile:      +61 (0)413 417 822    Level 1, 3 Montague St
Phone:       +61 (0)2 9555 5666               Balmain NSW
Fax:         +61 (0)2 9555 5688           Australia  2041
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-