NFS optimization

Post by Sherwood Botsfo » Fri, 02 Aug 1991 02:32:45

We have two computers set up as file servers for user's home directories.  One
is a sun, and one is a nextstation.  The sun seems far slower to respond to nfs
stuff.
        ==> How do I find out if this is a problem with the hardware, and not
the software? (e.g. slow ethernet card)
        ==> How do I tinker so that file serving speeds up.
--

=> University of Alberta         Lab Manager, Space Physics Group <=
=> tel:403 492-3713                             fax: 403 492-4256 <=

NFS optimization

Post by Anne Benne » Fri, 02 Aug 1991 06:04:14

Quote:(Sherwood Botsford) writes:
> We have two computers set up as file servers for user's home directories.  One
> is a sun, and one is a nextstation. [...]
>    ==> How do I tinker so that file serving speeds up.

The May 1991 issue of Sun's Software Technical Bulletin has an article on
page 13, entitled "NFS Client Server", which dicusses this issue in some
detail.  In short, they suggest that if you have two servers, you share
the workload between them by assigning one as a "working set server" and
the other as a "random data server".  The working set server deals mostly
with NFS reads (for example of executables exported to clients), and should
have a large memory to increase the ratio of hits on the memory cache. The
random data server deals with reads and writes of random data, as occur
with root and swap of diskless clients. It should have fast disks, but need
not have a lot of memory, as NFS writes are synchronous to disk anyway. Sun
also suggest that servers avoid running processes other than the necessary
ones, because on a working set server it would disrupt the behaviour of
memory as a page-cache, while on a random data server it would worsen the
disk I/O bottleneck.

I recommend that you read the article for yourself, as the above summary
is very sketchy.

Anne.   (System Administrator for Maxwell, Rigel, Pauli, and their clients)

Ms. Anne Bennett, Computing Services, Concordia University, Montreal H3G 1M8

1. NFS BW-NFS and PC-NFS

I am having trouble mounting a file system on my linux box.  I have tried
to use either BW-NFS or PC-NFS on several PC's to mount a machine running
Linux (1.1.18).  I have portmapper running along with mountd , and either
PC-NFS or BW-NFS daemons.

I try to map d: to a file system that is in my exports file and the PC hangs.
Has anyone seen this problem.  I am able to use telnet and ping from these
machines but NFS is not working.

Thomas Glaser
PC/Network Admin.
University Book Store

2. Sun performance monitoring

3. Which optimization for 6x86?

4. Q: Emacs on console & fontlock ?

5. Can you post your Athlon/Duron optimization flags ?

6. Setting up Xwindows in Slackware 3.0 on laptops

7. AMD K6 & optimizations?

8. Viewsonic G810 and RH5.1

9. alpha optimization...

10. cach-optimisation on SMP

11. Flakey behaviour under 1.3.52 with PCI optimization on

12. AMD K6-2 Compiler Optimization

13. cable modem optimization - newbie Q