Making releases to production

Post by Tab » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 07:31:20

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this, but can anyone please tell
me their opinions on this issue:

Should developers be allowed to make direct releases of their code to a
production environment (after testing), or should decisions on such releases
be left to the System Admin(s) ?

Post by Gary Schmid » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:47:51

> I'm not sure if this is the best place for this, but can anyone please tell
> me their opinions on this issue:

> Should developers be allowed to make direct releases of their code to a
> production environment (after testing), or should decisions on such releases
> be left to the System Admin(s) ?

As _both_ a developer and a System Administrator: No.

1 - SysAdmin has no part in the release of software.

2 - QA, that's who determine whether a release goes out.

        Cheers,
                 Gary   B-)

Post by Adam Pric » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:44:55

> I'm not sure if this is the best place for this, but can anyone please tell
> me their opinions on this issue:

> Should developers be allowed to make direct releases of their code to a
> production environment (after testing), or should decisions on such releases
> be left to the System Admin(s) ?

NO! Such decisions rest with the quality person.

The designer designs it and writes a test spec in agreement with the customer.

The developer writes the code and performs informal tests, releasing it to peer review
or reworking.

A peer reviews and releases it to test or rejects it.

The testers do all of the required testing (against the test spec)  and produce a quality
report where they may recommend release or rejection.

The QA person will read the test report and the test spec and release the code to the customer.

Note, In no place does the SA play a part. The only role of the SA in the above (unless he
just happens to have another job) is to keep the machines running during the whole process.

Also note that many of the jobs above can be done by the same person(Indeed if one is honest with
oneself then one can do all of the jobs. but it is difficult).

Just my opinion
Adam

1. Production Release of ESD E14: Engineering Scientific Data Libraries and Data Utilities

From: 67-ME

03/18/02

6-6D56-DMF-02-002

To: Distribution -- via email only

Subject: Production Release of ESDlib and ESD Utilities E14

Scientific Computing announces the general availability of the latest
version of the following Engineering Scientific Data (ESD) Libraries and
Utilities:

ESDlib E14

Esload E14, Esunload E14, Escompress E14

ESDlib and ESD Utilities (Esload, Esunload, Escompress) to have been ported
to PowerPC and Intel based Linux to support new Engineering Lab data
systems. ESDLib has been rebuilt for HP-UX 11.0 to support the HP-UX 11.0
operating system major version release.

The following host hardware and operating systems are supported:

HP: HP-UX 11.0_2, 32 Bit mode (ESDlib only)

Synergy: VME SBC series (Power PC): Yellow Dog Linux Challenge Server 1.2

Intel x86 compatible (i.e. Pentium): Red Hat Linux 6.2

Also note that on HP-UX, the ESDlib E14 FORTRAN interfaces have been tested
using the FORTRAN 90 complier. This is to support HP's direction to
eliminate support for the FORTRAN 77 complier at HP-UX11.11 and higher.

Information about using these new product versions can be found at the
following URL's:

ESD Utilities release notes:

<http://scd.ca.boeing.com/~dwr2055/prod/esdutilities_e14_release_notes...>

ESDlib release notes:

<http://scd.ca.boeing.com/~dwr2055/prod/esdlib_e14_release_notes.pdf>

We would like to thank those who participated in the Beta Test for your
support. Please continue to report any problems or suggestions for
improvement via the CPR program. If we can be of help, please contact our
consultation line at (425) 237-9238. If you have questions about any of the
information contained in this memo, please contact Dan Russell at the phone
number or email address shown below.

Signatures on File...

D. W. Russell S. J. Sward

System Manager Project Manager

Org. 6-D56, M/S 67-ME Org. 6-6D56, M/S 67-MU

Phone #: (425) 234-3680 Phone #: (425) 965-3788

D. M. Fox

Product and Service Manager

Org. 6-6D56, M/S 67-ME

Phone #: (425) 237-3765

2. NFS mounting

3. New BusLogic Driver - Second Production Release

4. Programs

5. New BusLogic Driver - First Production Release

6. AHA-3940 aic7xxx kernel 2.2.13 problem

7. When will Debian production code be released?

8. Winbook XL233D, any good?

9. Making DIP release tty line...

10. SOCKS5Toolkit Release 1.0; Security Made Easy

11. Mid-month LTP release made.

12. Making sound work (AWE 64 and 3.0-RELEASE)

13. SOCKS5Toolkit Release 1.0; Security Made Easy