NFS freeware recommendations

Post by Anthony J. Lennon - System Admi » Wed, 16 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I installed Microimages MI/X X Server for Windows95 on our PC workstations
and it seems to be behaving properly with our mixed HP-UX 9.x, SunOS 4.14,
and Solaris 2.5.1 Unix network. Now I'm am looking for free NFS software
that
will add similar functionality to Exceed's NFS Maestro package. Does
anyone have any suggestions.

By the way, has anyone had any bad experiences using Microimages' MI/X X
Server package?

Anthony J. Lennon

Post by Kurt M. Hockenbu » Wed, 16 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: I installed Microimages MI/X X Server for Windows95 on our PC workstations
: and it seems to be behaving properly with our mixed HP-UX 9.x, SunOS 4.14,
: and Solaris 2.5.1 Unix network. Now I'm am looking for free NFS software
: that
: will add similar functionality to Exceed's NFS Maestro package. Does
: anyone have any suggestions.

Personally, I'd install Samba on the servers instead.  See
comp.protocols.smb and/or <http://samba.canberra.edu.au/pub/samba/>

        -Kurt

Post by Frederic MARA » Thu, 17 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>I installed Microimages MI/X X Server for Windows95 on our PC workstations
>and it seems to be behaving properly with our mixed HP-UX 9.x, SunOS 4.14,
>and Solaris 2.5.1 Unix network. Now I'm am looking for free NFS software
>that
>will add similar functionality to Exceed's NFS Maestro package. Does
>anyone have any suggestions.
>By the way, has anyone had any bad experiences using Microimages' MI/X X
>Server package?
>Anthony J. Lennon

You could take a look at XFS/32. I found it on the XVision 6 CD-ROM in
the freeware/shareware portion, but you should be able to find it
elsewhere.

1. RedHat GNU freeware or limit freeware...

You certainly don't need to buy licences!

The point of the GPL is, roughly, that you can't take free software and
make it proprietary [1] - so if your proprietary use of GPLed software
includes linking it with software which you don't place under a
compatible license, then sorry, no go. This is needed to make sure free
software doesn't get subverted into being non-free.

However, there are no restrictions on the environments in which you can
*use* GPLed software. If you want to use it in your business, that's
fine.

[1] Note that "commercial" is not the same as "proprietary". The
    confusion is common, but "commercial" means that your software is
    not free as in free beer, whereas "proprietary" means that your
    software is not free as in free speech. See http://www.gnu.org/ for
    more information.

--

"Is this legal?"
"That question is OFF-TOPIC here." - alt.binaries.cracks FAQ

2. Problem with X (KDE) and gentoo...

3. Any freeware NT NFS client out there

4. GVC Ethernet Adapter Network Kernal

5. A freeware NFS server for Windows NT/95!

6. Shell Account and using netscape

7. Freeware NFS server for Windoze?

8. how to play music from CD

9. PC-NFS Shareware or freeware?

10. Freeware NFS Server for Windows95?

11. Freeware DOS NFS?

12. NFS configuration recommendations wanted

13. Recommendations for NFS file server