Moving data from a unix box to linux

Post by Moth » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 13:31:12

I need to get about 3.5Mb of data of an old Sys 5 machine on to a new linux
machine.  There is not network card in the unix machine.  There was a VT510
terminal hooked up through a rocket port previously.

Anyways, my experience with unix is about 0 and thus I don't know how to get
the data off the machine.  I've tried taring directly to the floppy disk but
the linux box won't read this.  I also tared to the hard drive but I'm not
sure how to copy a file onto a floppy with unix seeing as you can't mount
the damn thing (or at least I don't know how to).

So can someone give me some pointers on what I can do to get this data.

So far all I've tried is tar as follows:

tar -cvkf /dev/dsk/f0 1400 /usr1/tcuw/data

Which seem to work - if I use tar -t the device it lists all of the files
correctly.

But this doesn't work on the linux machine (Suse 7.2 - 2.4.4 Kernel)

So either how should I tar it or how do you copy a file to a floppy disk
because I'm stumped.

--
/**

 */

Post by Michael Jarrel » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 00:03:19

> I need to get about 3.5Mb of data of an old Sys 5 machine on to a new linux
> machine.  There is not network card in the unix machine.  There was a VT510
> terminal hooked up through a rocket port previously.

> Anyways, my experience with unix is about 0 and thus I don't know how to get
> the data off the machine.  I've tried taring directly to the floppy disk but
> the linux box won't read this.  I also tared to the hard drive but I'm not
> sure how to copy a file onto a floppy with unix seeing as you can't mount
> the damn thing (or at least I don't know how to).

> So can someone give me some pointers on what I can do to get this data.

> So far all I've tried is tar as follows:

> tar -cvkf /dev/dsk/f0 1400 /usr1/tcuw/data

> Which seem to work - if I use tar -t the device it lists all of the files
> correctly.

> But this doesn't work on the linux machine (Suse 7.2 - 2.4.4 Kernel)

> So either how should I tar it or how do you copy a file to a floppy disk
> because I'm stumped.

You have a few options:

If you can find a find a file system that is compatible between the
two systems you can format a disk with that file system and use it.
MS-Windows, Linux, and Solaris support the DOS file system.

If the hard disk protocol is compatible and Linux can read the
filesystem on the hard disk you could pull the disk out of the Sys 5
box and put it in the Linux box.

If you can find a couple of network interface cards and some cable you
could network the two machines and ftp it over.

Mike Jarrells

Post by Chuck Dillo » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 03:50:44

> You have a few options:

Another option should be to use a null modem cable and send the data between
serial ports.
A parallel port variation might also be available.

Just cat the data out the Sys V port and cat it in on the Linux side using a
direct serial/parallel connection.

-- ced

--
Chuck Dillon
Senior Software Engineer

Post by Doug Freyubrg » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 05:02:59

> I need to get about 3.5Mb of data of an old Sys 5 machine on to a new linux
> machine.  There is not network card in the unix machine.
> I've tried taring directly to the floppy disk but
> the linux box won't read this.  I also tared to the hard drive but I'm not
> sure how to copy a file onto a floppy with unix seeing as you can't mount
> the damn thing (or at least I don't know how to).

1) I hope your old SysV machine supports floppies with PC FAT16 filesystems.

tar it to a file.  man split for -b to see how to cut it into byte sized
pieces.  Format several floppies on a PC.  Put them in one by one, mount
them, copy one of the split pieces, umount them.

One by one mount the floppies on the target machine.  Copy the pieces out.
When you have all of them "cat one two three four five > whole.thing.tar"
and there you go.

2) If ALL you have is a serial connection, have you considered using something
like kermit, xmodem, or any other old serial transfer program?  Their have
been many over the years that handle error detection and correction and so
on.  I used to keep an ancient one-file-in-C version of kermit that I had
on a floppy.  I would put it on both machines, compile it, fire it up on
both sides, read the bleeping man page again, get the file across, put the
floppy away, and forget how to use that old program again...

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 10:17:38

> I need to get about 3.5Mb of data of an old Sys 5 machine on to a new linux
> machine.  There is not network card in the unix machine.  There was a VT510
> terminal hooked up through a rocket port previously.

                [...snip...]

        What flavor of UNIX box are you attempting to transfer data from to your PC?

                        Don

--
***********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald   *      Man's gotta earn a living.

Post by Juergen Pfan » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 19:23:14

> I need to get about 3.5Mb of data of an old Sys 5 machine on to a new linux
> machine.  There is not network card in the unix machine.  There was a VT510
> terminal hooked up through a rocket port previously.

> So can someone give me some pointers on what I can do to get this data.

> So far all I've tried is tar as follows:

> tar -cvkf /dev/dsk/f0 1400 /usr1/tcuw/data

What is the meaning of the "k" option on *this* particular tar
implementation ?
And, shouldn't it be /dev/dsk/f01440 , not 1400, and without blank ?

Quote:> Which seem to work - if I use tar -t the device it lists all of the files
> correctly.

> But this doesn't work on the linux machine (Suse 7.2 - 2.4.4 Kernel)

But it's _supposed_ to work that way. What command did you use
to list and/or extract the files ? Which errors do you get
exactly ?
Another point : You talked about 3.5 M of data - which won't
fit on a single floppy, obviously. Perhaps you manage to
compress the archive, using compress; if the files in question
are mostly text files, you might be lucky to get < 1.44 M.
Or, does your tar implementation support multiple-volume
archives (-M option), as GNU tar does ?
Another idea is 'split -b', as already suggested; then
you can't use the raw floppy, but a file system like MS-DOS
FAT.

Quote:> So either how should I tar it or how do you copy a file to a floppy disk
> because I'm stumped.

Please be so kind to tell us more, first...

Juergen

Moving data from a unix box to linux

Post by Moth » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 21:14:57

Thanks all for your help but I managed to solve my problem quite simply.  I
tared to /dev/fd0 instead of /dev/dsk/f0.  I don't know what the difference
is but it's happy.

As for the k option that everyone is curious about.  It's an option to set
the volume size.  The system I had doesn't know the size of the disk so it
will have a blue fit if the archive is greater than a floppy.  So k tells it
the size of the volume.  In my case I made it 1400kb just to be sure.  I
guess it is the same as M in gnu.

Anyways, thanks for all the replys.

Moth

--
/**

 */

> > I need to get about 3.5Mb of data of an old Sys 5 machine on to a new
linux
> > machine.  There is not network card in the unix machine.  There was a
VT510
> > terminal hooked up through a rocket port previously.

> > So can someone give me some pointers on what I can do to get this data.

> > So far all I've tried is tar as follows:

> > tar -cvkf /dev/dsk/f0 1400 /usr1/tcuw/data

> What is the meaning of the "k" option on *this* particular tar
> implementation ?
> And, shouldn't it be /dev/dsk/f01440 , not 1400, and without blank ?

> > Which seem to work - if I use tar -t the device it lists all of the
files
> > correctly.

> > But this doesn't work on the linux machine (Suse 7.2 - 2.4.4 Kernel)

> But it's _supposed_ to work that way. What command did you use
> to list and/or extract the files ? Which errors do you get
> exactly ?
> Another point : You talked about 3.5 M of data - which won't
> fit on a single floppy, obviously. Perhaps you manage to
> compress the archive, using compress; if the files in question
> are mostly text files, you might be lucky to get < 1.44 M.
> Or, does your tar implementation support multiple-volume
> archives (-M option), as GNU tar does ?
> Another idea is 'split -b', as already suggested; then
> you can't use the raw floppy, but a file system like MS-DOS
> FAT.

> > So either how should I tar it or how do you copy a file to a floppy disk
> > because I'm stumped.

> Please be so kind to tell us more, first...

> Juergen

Moving data from a unix box to linux

Post by those who know me have no need of my nam » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 08:20:39

Quote:>Just cat the data out the Sys V port and cat it in on the Linux side using a
>direct serial/parallel connection.

if absolutely necessary, otherwise kermit would be a better choice.

--
okay, have a sig then

Post by Chuck Dillo » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 01:14:50

> >Just cat the data out the Sys V port and cat it in on the Linux side using a
> >direct serial/parallel connection.

> if absolutely necessary, otherwise kermit would be a better choice.

So you don't trust storage devices connected via such ports?  For example, zip
drives connected via parallel ports?

If the OP can't get kermit on the system, which seems likely since he can't get
data off of it, he could use a checksum to verify the data.  Perhaps use cpio's
CRC mechanism for example.

-- ced

--
Chuck Dillon
Senior Software Engineer
Accelrys Inc., a subsidiary of Pharmacopeia, Inc.

Moving data from a unix box to linux

Post by those who know me have no need of my nam » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 04:45:50

>> >Just cat the data out the Sys V port and cat it in on the Linux side
>> >using a direct serial/parallel connection.

>> if absolutely necessary, otherwise kermit would be a better choice.

>So you don't trust storage devices connected via such ports?  For example, zip
>drives connected via parallel ports?

surely i do, but a protocol is used with those devices.

--
okay, have a sig then

Post by Doug Freyubrg » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 08:53:49

> > if absolutely necessary, otherwise kermit would be a better choice.

> So you don't trust storage devices connected via such ports?  For example, zip
> drives connected via parallel ports?

Kermit has an error detection and correction protocol, so does the disk driver
that runs zip drives on parallel ports.  "cat" does not.

Quote:> If the OP can't get kermit on the system, which seems likely since he can't
> get data off of it, he could use a checksum to verify the data.

Correct.  Several checksum methods are available, or use an application that
has one built in.

Quote:> Perhaps use cpio's CRC mechanism for example.

My grossest example is to use uuencode, since it has a simple error detection
mechanism.  If it says the file was intact, use it, else retransmit.

Moving data from a unix box to linux

Post by worl » Fri, 23 Nov 2001 05:45:39

I use NFS to get data between my Linux server and my Solaris server.
Works like a charm.

On Thu, 08 Nov 2001 04:31:12 GMT, "Moth"

>I need to get about 3.5Mb of data of an old Sys 5 machine on to a new linux
>machine.  There is not network card in the unix machine.  There was a VT510
>terminal hooked up through a rocket port previously.

>Anyways, my experience with unix is about 0 and thus I don't know how to get
>the data off the machine.  I've tried taring directly to the floppy disk but
>the linux box won't read this.  I also tared to the hard drive but I'm not
>sure how to copy a file onto a floppy with unix seeing as you can't mount
>the damn thing (or at least I don't know how to).

>So can someone give me some pointers on what I can do to get this data.

>So far all I've tried is tar as follows:

>tar -cvkf /dev/dsk/f0 1400 /usr1/tcuw/data

>Which seem to work - if I use tar -t the device it lists all of the files
>correctly.

>But this doesn't work on the linux machine (Suse 7.2 - 2.4.4 Kernel)

>So either how should I tar it or how do you copy a file to a floppy disk
>because I'm stumped.

>--
>/**

> */

Moving data from a unix box to linux

Post by Derek Smi » Fri, 23 Nov 2001 16:55:42

Quote:>I need to get about 3.5Mb of data of an old Sys 5 machine on to a new
>linux machine.  There is not network card in the unix machine.  There
>was a VT510 terminal hooked up through a rocket port previously.

>Anyways, my experience with unix is about 0 and thus I don't know how to
>get the data off the machine.  I've tried taring directly to the floppy
>disk but the linux box won't read this.  I also tared to the hard drive
>but I'm not sure how to copy a file onto a floppy with unix seeing as
>you can't mount the damn thing (or at least I don't know how to).

>So can someone give me some pointers on what I can do to get this data.

>So far all I've tried is tar as follows:

>tar -cvkf /dev/dsk/f0 1400 /usr1/tcuw/data

>Which seem to work - if I use tar -t the device it lists all of the
>files correctly.

>But this doesn't work on the linux machine (Suse 7.2 - 2.4.4 Kernel)

>So either how should I tar it or how do you copy a file to a floppy disk
>because I'm stumped.

I would try formatting the floppy on a Win9x system, mounting under SunOS,
tar to the mounted filesystem, and then reversing the process under Linux.

I know you cannot easily read it if you use tar to the direct device.

HTH

Derek

1. Moving NIS Master from a Linux box to a FreeBSD box.

Can anybody comment on the proper procedure to migrate an NIS master from a
server running Linux (debian) to one running FreeBSD ? (4.5-stable)

I was thinking perhaps setting up the FreeBSD box as an NIS slave, then
somehow promiting the slave to a master but I'm not sure if this is viable.
(nor on the specifics of actually making an NIS slave into a master)

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. NE2000 installation?

3. Move data from UNIX server, help !

4. PPP and Multiple Modems for NAT Box

5. Help move data unix to pc.

6. Please HELP???? - Changed root's shell from sh to csh and now I can't login!!!!!

7. moving Unix box to a new network

8. termcap to suit kermit or ate emulation

9. Moving data from an IBM SYS 38 to a Data General Aviion

10. ***Moving files from PC to Unix box

11. Copy Users from one Unix Box to another Unix Box

12. easiest way to move 1000 users from a Caldera box to a Redhat box

13. Data General Aviion Unix box HELP HELP HELP