Checksum error upon bootup uf Sparc IPC - please help!

Checksum error upon bootup uf Sparc IPC - please help!

Post by Allen G. Cec » Mon, 01 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Hi Netfolks,

I have a problem when booting up and wondered if anyone
had any pointers on what the problem might be.  These are
the relevant system stats:

Sparc IPC w/24 MB RAM
Internal 207 MB Hard disk
SunOS 4.1.3U1 System.
standalone workstation

The Problem:
When I initially start up the machine, it gives the
following:
Booting from sd(0,0,0)vmunix
Checksum 11c17d85 != fd75a3ee trying to boot anyway
Illegal InstructionType

Anyone know what this is.  It had been working fine the
day before, and then this happened.  The only thing I had
done previous to this was compress a few files using
compress to free up a little disk space, but I was able
to boot fine after doing this.  The problem only manifested
itself the next day (several reboots after the compression
had taken place.)  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Allen Cecil

1. "fsck returned error code - reboot now" upon bootup

I am installing Linux for the first time.  It seems to have installed ok,
however, upon bootup I get the error "fsck returned error code - reboot
now".  I believe that it is related to my hard drive mounting as a read
only device.  When I bootup using LILO and I put the statement
"mount root = /dev/hdb2 rw" in my command line at the LILO prompt, the fsck
error does no appear and everything seems to work OK.  Is this the correct
method of fixing the problem and how can I permanently make my hdb2 a rw
device?  Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Steve

       STEVEN D. WALTERS                         UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS

2. ps2 mouse doesnt work, resource or device busy

3. tar: directory checksum error (PLEASE HELP)

4. Any INND/Satellite solutions

5. module dependencies problem upon bootup. Somebody help???????

6. eMusic and libgtk problem

7. Bootup error - please help me fix...

8. Term setup question

9. Disklabel problem on sparc Error msg: Label magic number or checksum is wrong!

10. RHL 4.2....NEW KERNEL NOT RESPONDING UPON BOOTUP

11. Red Hat Linux: cancelling actions upon bootup

12. Linux wont initialize nic upon bootup (sometimes)

13. Help -- Pcomm on Sun Sparc IPC