grouping a group to a group?

Post by tuong » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 15:31:55

hey everyone..

my Operating Sys is SCO
i got a suituation where i have users - usr1, usr2, usr3 and usr4
and groups - mastergroup, grp1, grp2

usr1 and usr2 belong to mastergroup
usr3 belongs to grp1 and
usr4 belongs to grp2

i want every user in mastergroup to be able to access contents owned by grp1
and grp2.
So instead of placing all the users from mastergroup to grp1 and grp2
is it possible to place a group in a group (ie mastergroup in grp1 and
rp2  ) ?
or is there another way to do this?

thanks in advances
Tuong.

grouping a group to a group?

Post by Barry Margoli » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 01:14:40

>hey everyone..

>my Operating Sys is SCO
>i got a suituation where i have users - usr1, usr2, usr3 and usr4
>and groups - mastergroup, grp1, grp2

>usr1 and usr2 belong to mastergroup
>usr3 belongs to grp1 and
>usr4 belongs to grp2

>i want every user in mastergroup to be able to access contents owned by grp1
>and grp2.
>So instead of placing all the users from mastergroup to grp1 and grp2
>is it possible to place a group in a group (ie mastergroup in grp1 and
>rp2  ) ?

No, Unix doesn't support nested groups.

Quote:>or is there another way to do this?

Not AFAIK.

--

Genuity, Woburn, MA

grouping a group to a group?

Post by Nicholas Bachman » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 08:06:17

> hey everyone..

> my Operating Sys is SCO
> i got a suituation where i have users - usr1, usr2, usr3 and usr4
> and groups - mastergroup, grp1, grp2

> usr1 and usr2 belong to mastergroup
> usr3 belongs to grp1 and
> usr4 belongs to grp2

> i want every user in mastergroup to be able to access contents owned by grp1
> and grp2.
> So instead of placing all the users from mastergroup to grp1 and grp2
> is it possible to place a group in a group (ie mastergroup in grp1 and
> rp2  ) ?
> or is there another way to do this?

You might have luck with ACLs, but for most situations that might be a
little overboard...

--
         Regards,

+ Promo of the week:                           +
+ Go check out Leafnode for a good news server +

grouping a group to a group?

Post by Ed All » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 14:01:25

>hey everyone..

>my Operating Sys is SCO
>i got a suituation where i have users - usr1, usr2, usr3 and usr4
>and groups - mastergroup, grp1, grp2

>usr1 and usr2 belong to mastergroup
>usr3 belongs to grp1 and
>usr4 belongs to grp2

>i want every user in mastergroup to be able to access contents owned by grp1
>and grp2.
>So instead of placing all the users from mastergroup to grp1 and grp2
>is it possible to place a group in a group (ie mastergroup in grp1 and
>rp2  ) ?
>or is there another way to do this?

    The only way is to list all members of the master group as
    members of all three groups.

    /etc/group:

        master:x:1000:abe,tom,xena,frank
        grp1:x:sally,sheila,susan,abe,tom,xena,frank
        grp2:x:joe,jim,george,hank,abe,tom,xena,frank

    A user can belong to multiple groups.  The particular number
    allowed differs between systems.  The primary or login
    group is used as the group owner of files they create but
    they can read and write the ones from other groups they
    belong to.

--
Unix has security which has been tested by conniving, unscrupulous
    college students over generations.

1. cannot set up UMASK or groups so that users from one group cannot access other groups

Hi

First let me describe what I would like to set up to clarify things:

Scenario:

I would like to set up 3 groups, lets call them A, B, C. Users from A should
have access files created by users in B or C. Users in B or C cannot access
files created by users in A. Also users in B or C should not have access to
each others files.

How would I set up Umask to handle this? I've tried to create a primary
group for all and secondary groups to reflect the permissions I'm after, but
to no avail.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Jon

2. Redhat 5.2 to kernel 2.2.1?

3. Keeping groups, groups and groups straight

4. Configuring DHCP client

5. GROUPS CONTAINING OTHER GROUPS (/etc/group)

6. /dev/ip kernel parameters

7. /etc/group groups inside of groups?

8. Network Problems

9. user and group management - how to emulate groups into groups in linux ?

10. redefining group id's in /etc/group ???

11. change to new gid or new group name all files of given group name or gid

12. File group permissions - applicable to a particular group user only possible??

13. change group name and gid for all files of given old group name or old gid