Server will not print to a Linksys EPSX3 Print Server

Server will not print to a Linksys EPSX3 Print Server

Post by Anonymou » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

We are running ULTRIX V4.2A (Rev. 47), and we are trying to move the print
services to a Linksys Printserver.

Originally, our print services used a Chase IOLAN to connect remote printers
to our ULTRIX system.

We can print directly to the Printserver with Windows 9x, and the page will
print.  We can also print from Windows 9x via a SAMBA server on the ULTRIX
system and the page will print.

But, when we try printing directly from the ULTRIX system, the printer would
be stuck in processing data and no page would print.

The printer we are using is an old HP LaserJet III printer w/PostScript
Cartridge.

The printcap is configured as shown bellow:

laser|lj|ps|Laser Jet III PostScript printer:\
        :if=/usr/local/lib/lpd/ip.hp:\
        :lf=/usr/adm/lpd-errs:\
        :lp=:\
        :rm=pserv1:\
        :rp=L2:\ # L1 for LPT1, L2 for LPT2, L3 for LPT3
        :mx#0:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/lpd/lj3:\
        :sf:\
        :sh:

The "ip.hp" filter script is as follows:

#!/bin/sh
#
# ifhp - Print simulated PostScript on HP LaserJet III

#
# Treat LF as CR+LF:
#
#/usr/local/bin/printf "\033&k2G" || exit 2

#
# Read first two characters of the file
#
read first_line
first_two_chars=`expr "$first_line" : '\(..\)'`

if [ "$first_two_chars" = "%!" ]; then
        #
        # It is PostScript; so just print it directly;
        # print a formfeed at the end to eject the last page.
        #
        echo $first_line && cat && /usr/local/bin/printf "\f" && exit 0

else
        #
        # Plain text or HP/PCL; use psflpd to scan-convert and print it
        # print a formfeed at the end to eject the last page.
        #
        /usr/local/lib/psf/psflpd && /usr/local/bin/printf "\f" && exit 0
fi

exit 2

We believe that the printer is waiting for a control character to tell it
that the job is completed, and to print the file.  We tried using a formfeed
and \004 (Ctrl-D?), but this didn't work.

Anyone have an Ideal as to why we can't print from ULTRIX to a Printserver?

Thanks.

Scot

  --------== Posted Anonymously via Newsfeeds.Com ==-------
     Featuring the worlds only Anonymous Usenet Server
    -----------== http://www.newsfeeds.com ==----------

1. Printing thru Linksys EPSX3 print server - how?

I'm trying to get my Linux box to print thru the print server using CUPS,

192.168.1.150:9100, and sets up the printer as an HP photosmart P1000 using
the recommended drivers, but when sending a test file, nothing happens at
the printer.  I can ping the server sucessfully all day long.  What am I
not setting up?

Do I need a Linux driver for the Linksys EPSX3 (Windows does)?  If so,
where do I get it, and are there any secrets to setting it up?

Any help/advice would be appreciated - I have a CompSci degree, but it's 25
yrs old, so use small words and simple sentences :)

Thanks in advance...

2. requirements for gigabit interface card on Sparc

3. Linux Printing to a Linksys Pocket Print Server

4. SENDMAIL Setup

5. Printing to Linksys Print Server

6. X11

7. Linux Printing to a Linksys Pocket Print Server

8. Problems compiling Apache on AIX 4.3.3.0

9. EPSX3 MULTI-PORT PRINT SERVER PROBLEMS

10. Need help getting print server to not print headers

11. Configuring AIX to use a Linksys Print Server EFSP42

12. linksys print server ppsx1

13. Linksys Print Server