redirect DISPLAY from SUN-box to Linux-box

redirect DISPLAY from SUN-box to Linux-box

Post by rene blai » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 06:14:42



Hi,

The point is to redirect the GUI(e.g.'xclock') from a Solaris to a
Mandrake machine.

I tried already following:

- rlogin from Mandrake to Solaris host.

- On Solaris machine:

   #export DISPLAY=<hostname linux-box>:0.0 //verified by
                                            //'echo $DISPLAY' cmd.>OK.

- On Mandrake machine:

   #xhost +<hostname sun-box>   //so, access should be granted!
                                // -->INET:<hostname sun> >OK.

(Entry in /etc/hosts has been made on both sides)

But unfortunately it seems to be not enough.

Is there any config file for X which has to be modified on Linux
or Unix side?

Many thanks in advance!

rene

 
 
 

redirect DISPLAY from SUN-box to Linux-box

Post by Barry Margoli » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 07:30:37




Quote:>Hi,

>The point is to redirect the GUI(e.g.'xclock') from a Solaris to a
>Mandrake machine.

>I tried already following:

>- rlogin from Mandrake to Solaris host.

>- On Solaris machine:

>   #export DISPLAY=<hostname linux-box>:0.0 //verified by
>                                            //'echo $DISPLAY' cmd.>OK.

>- On Mandrake machine:

>   #xhost +<hostname sun-box>   //so, access should be granted!
>                                // -->INET:<hostname sun> >OK.

>(Entry in /etc/hosts has been made on both sides)

>But unfortunately it seems to be not enough.

What happens when you try to start up an X client?

Quote:>Is there any config file for X which has to be modified on Linux
>or Unix side?

You may need to copy the authentication information.  On the Linux box, do:

xauth list $DISPLAY

cut the part beginning with "MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1" to the end of the line.

Then on the Solaris box, after you've set $DISPLAY, do:

xauth add $DISPLAY <paste>

--

Genuity, Woburn, MA
*** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.
Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the group.

 
 
 

redirect DISPLAY from SUN-box to Linux-box

Post by rene blai » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 07:16:58





>>Hi,

>>The point is to redirect the GUI(e.g.'xclock') from a Solaris to a
>>Mandrake machine.

>>I tried already following:

>>- rlogin from Mandrake to Solaris host.

>>- On Solaris machine:

>>  #export DISPLAY=<hostname linux-box>:0.0 //verified by
>>                                           //'echo $DISPLAY' cmd.>OK.

>>- On Mandrake machine:

>>  #xhost +<hostname sun-box>   //so, access should be granted!
>>                               // -->INET:<hostname sun> >OK.

>>(Entry in /etc/hosts has been made on both sides)

>>But unfortunately it seems to be not enough.

> What happens when you try to start up an X client?

I get following replied:


ksh: xclock:  not found

But if I execute xclock on site, it works!?!
Also the same with dtterm,xterm,etc.

Quote:

>>Is there any config file for X which has to be modified on Linux
>>or Unix side?

> You may need to copy the authentication information.  On the Linux box, do:

> xauth list $DISPLAY

> cut the part beginning with "MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1" to the end of the line.

> Then on the Solaris box, after you've set $DISPLAY, do:

> xauth add $DISPLAY <paste>

...did not work...unfortunately!

Here the reply :

earth:0.0

3d25181c077d106b50703f4318150c5b
ksh: xauth:  not found

Thanks for your fast reply!

 
 
 

redirect DISPLAY from SUN-box to Linux-box

Post by Securit » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 08:23:39





> >The point is to redirect the GUI(e.g.'xclock') from a Solaris to a
> >Mandrake machine.

    >snip<

Quote:> You may need to copy the authentication information.  On the Linux box,
do:
> xauth list $DISPLAY
> cut the part beginning with "MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1" to the end of the line.
> Then on the Solaris box, after you've set $DISPLAY, do:
> xauth add $DISPLAY <paste>

    to all you x windows enthusiasts and newbie x windows enthusiast, take
this
    information barry provided to heart, and memorize it... simply copying
    .Xauthority i have seen on occasion simply not work.... this accounts
for about
    25% of the posts in unix newsgroups about xwindows, with the other 75%
being
    xwindows type questions abut not starting (killing rpc, not running
tooltalk, xdmcp
    broadcast off, etc etc)...

Ron!

    also a good time to summarize and memorize LEARN=`man xauth`

 
 
 

redirect DISPLAY from SUN-box to Linux-box

Post by Justin Stringfello » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 08:47:43



> ksh: xclock:  not found

> But if I execute xclock on site, it works!?!
> Also the same with dtterm,xterm,etc.

well, you just have a simple problem with your $PATH then. Make sure
/usr/openwin/bin is in it. Your $PATH is evidently set differently
depending on how you are logging in .

I have never had to do this...

Quote:> ksh: xauth:  not found

see above.  You are not even getting as far as loading the binary for
the X11 stuff to fail, so xauth will not help.
 
 
 

redirect DISPLAY from SUN-box to Linux-box

Post by Andreas K?h?r » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:05:45


Submitted by "rene blaim" to comp.unix.admin:

Quote:> Hi,

> The point is to redirect the GUI(e.g.'xclock') from a Solaris to a
> Mandrake machine.

> I tried already following:

> - rlogin from Mandrake to Solaris host.

> - On Solaris machine:

>    #export DISPLAY=<hostname linux-box>:0.0 //verified by
>                                             //'echo $DISPLAY' cmd.>OK.

> - On Mandrake machine:

>    #xhost +<hostname sun-box>   //so, access should be granted!
>                                 // -->INET:<hostname sun> >OK.

> (Entry in /etc/hosts has been made on both sides)

> But unfortunately it seems to be not enough.

> Is there any config file for X which has to be modified on Linux
> or Unix side?

Another quick thing you could try: ssh -X solarisbox
The -X will enable X forwarding.  No additional variables has to
be set.

--
(                  )
 ) Andreas K?h?ri (
(                  )

 
 
 

redirect DISPLAY from SUN-box to Linux-box

Post by Joe Durusa » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 22:25:07



> Hi,

> The point is to redirect the GUI(e.g.'xclock') from a Solaris to a
> Mandrake machine.

> I tried already following:

> - rlogin from Mandrake to Solaris host.

> - On Solaris machine:

>    #export DISPLAY=<hostname linux-box>:0.0 //verified by
>                                             //'echo $DISPLAY' cmd.>OK.

> - On Mandrake machine:

>    #xhost +<hostname sun-box>   //so, access should be granted!
>                                 // -->INET:<hostname sun> >OK.

> (Entry in /etc/hosts has been made on both sides)

> But unfortunately it seems to be not enough.

> Is there any config file for X which has to be modified on Linux
> or Unix side?

> Many thanks in advance!

> rene

What kind of error do you get??

Speaking only for myself,

Joe Durusau

 
 
 

redirect DISPLAY from SUN-box to Linux-box

Post by Jason Baughe » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 22:47:47



<snip>

>> What happens when you try to start up an X client?

> I get following replied:


> ksh: xclock:  not found

<snip>

> Here the reply :

> earth:0.0

> 3d25181c077d106b50703f4318150c5b
> ksh: xauth:  not found

Looks like a simple path environment issue to me, not really anything to
do with X and DISPLAY.

On the Solaris box, once you rlogin, check your $PATH variable and see
what it is set to.  You'll need to add the path to your xclock, or
specify the full path when you call it.

If you are able to log into the Solaris box locally and be able to call
xclock without the path, then you are probably getting the path set up
somewhere that doesn't get called when you use rlogin to the same box.

--
Jason Baugher
Virtual Adept Professional Consulting Services
1406 Adams Street, Quincy, IL 62301 - (217) 221-5406

 
 
 

redirect DISPLAY from SUN-box to Linux-box

Post by rene blai » Thu, 31 Oct 2002 05:23:20





> <snip>

>>>What happens when you try to start up an X client?

>>I get following replied:


>>ksh: xclock:  not found

> <snip>

>>Here the reply :

>>earth:0.0

>>3d25181c077d106b50703f4318150c5b
>>ksh: xauth:  not found

> Looks like a simple path environment issue to me, not really anything to
> do with X and DISPLAY.

> On the Solaris box, once you rlogin, check your $PATH variable and see
> what it is set to.  You'll need to add the path to your xclock, or
> specify the full path when you call it.

> If you are able to log into the Solaris box locally and be able to call
> xclock without the path, then you are probably getting the path set up
> somewhere that doesn't get called when you use rlogin to the same box.

Thanks Jason...it worked!!

I just extended the PATH variable like below:

#export PATH=$PATH:/usr/openwin/bin

and it works well.

You are right, actually it was a simple issue.But it seems, that I
really didn't want to apprehend it at all ;-)

I will check from where the extended PATH is set up.

Many thanks,  Rene