Ignite Trouble

Post by David S. Trus » Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Anyone using Ignite yet out there under HP-UX ?

We're having some weirdness getting systems up to 10.20 from 10.01 such
as /etc/passwd not holding onto its NIS entry and /var/adm/inetd.sec
getting mangled.

Otherwise, I've checked the HP web stuff, even the FAQ.  Some good info,
but I'd like to discuss details with folks interested.

Over and out.

-dave trush-

"No banners, please, we're British !"

Ignite Trouble

Post by Jacob Langfor » Sat, 04 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Anyone using Ignite yet out there under HP-UX ?

Yes, we succesfully ignited a whole lab with a pseudo-custom 10.20
installation.  We did the whole thing as a tar ignition.

Quote:> We're having some weirdness getting systems up to 10.20 from 10.01 such
> as /etc/passwd not holding onto its NIS entry and /var/adm/inetd.sec
> getting mangled.

Yes, we found it to be a pain in the ass, too.   It's been a while since I
didit, but when we issued the command to make the tar image of the system
we wanted to copy, we found that there are about 20 files that are omitted
from the image.  These files are presumably created by ignite during the
install, but that's not always what you want.  You may have to read up on
doing the post-install scripts.  Write a script to go patch up your passwd
stuff.  I don't remember exactly how we did the post-install stuff.  I know

the documentation is slightly confusing and it took a few tries to get it
right.

But when you're all done it's nice to schedule all the bootsys commands
as "at" jobs on the old 9.x system and come in the next morning to freshly
upgraded systems.   :)

Quote:> Otherwise, I've checked the HP web stuff, even the FAQ.  Some good info,
> but I'd like to discuss details with folks interested.

> Over and out.

> -dave trush-

> "No banners, please, we're British !"

Jacob

Ignite Trouble

Post by Satyr » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00

:> Anyone using Ignite yet out there under HP-UX ?

: Yes, we succesfully ignited a whole lab with a pseudo-custom 10.20
: installation.  We did the whole thing as a tar ignition.

:> We're having some weirdness getting systems up to 10.20 from 10.01 such
:> as /etc/passwd not holding onto its NIS entry and /var/adm/inetd.sec
:> getting mangled.

: Yes, we found it to be a pain in the ass, too.   It's been a while since I
: didit, but when we issued the command to make the tar image of the system
: we wanted to copy, we found that there are about 20 files that are omitted
: from the image.  These files are presumably created by ignite during the
: install,

 Not really. There are some files that are ommited, like /etc/passwd and
 others, that are highly system specific. I think that the idea is that one
 still has to configure the system.

 but that's not always what you want.  You may have to read up on
: doing the post-install scripts.  Write a script to go patch up your passwd
: stuff.  I don't remember exactly how we did the post-install stuff.  I know

 Just run a post-ignite script to rcp /etc/passwd and other files.